Sign in with
Your question

Screen goes black before the launch of most programs and before UAC Authentifica

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 16, 2010 4:57:58 AM

Hi,

I'm having trouble with my computer:

HP Pavilion dv9700 Notebook PC
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7250 @ 2.00 GHz 2.00 GHz
3 GB RAM
Windows Vista SP 2
32-bit Operating System
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS

I bought the laptop back in 2008 and it was working well until I got a virus several months ago. Because Norton 360 couldn't detect or remove the virus, I had to download a program called rkill to remove it. Ever since, every time I launch an application where the User Account Control pops up, the screen goes black both before and after for approximately 30-60 seconds each. Also, when launching games, the screen will go black for about 60 seconds or longer. I'm assuming it's a graphics issue but, I don't know enough about computers to be certain.

I'm not sure if it's related to the virus and the applications I used to delete the virus also deleted important files on my computer or if it's unrelated and coincidental. I've updated my graphics card driver to no avail and I've been scouring support forums but, haven't found one problem like mine. Please help.

Thanks in advance,
Aaron O.

More about : screen black launch programs uac authentifica

December 16, 2010 3:32:35 PM

I doubt its related to graphics. usually when the screen goes black when you launch something, its because your computer is low on resources (either memory or cpu). i would delete the rkill program to begin with. Then go into services under admin tools and "stop and switch to manual" any services which not system critical and are designated to automatically start. This should free up some extra resources and make your computer run a little faster in general.

Have you tried scanning your computer with the following: Malwarebytes, Adaware, or Registry Booster? You may still have a virus or malware which is slowing your computer when you launch things.
m
l
December 16, 2010 4:42:21 PM

snurp85 said:
I doubt its related to graphics. usually when the screen goes black when you launch something, its because your computer is low on resources (either memory or cpu). i would delete the rkill program to begin with. Then go into services under admin tools and "stop and switch to manual" any services which not system critical and are designated to automatically start. This should free up some extra resources and make your computer run a little faster in general.

Have you tried scanning your computer with the following: Malwarebytes, Adaware, or Registry Booster? You may still have a virus or malware which is slowing your computer when you launch things.

Hey, thanks snurp85.
I have to go to work now but, I'll try running the programs and shutting off non-critical services later.
Hopefully it works,

Aaron O.
m
l
January 5, 2011 7:17:14 PM

None of the suggested methods worked but, I ended up doing a full system recovery after backing up all my files and programs on an external hardrive. It worked, resolving whatever issue plagued my computer.

Aaron O.
m
l
Related resources
!