Backing up fresh laptop's image

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
March 23, 2005 3:23:37 PM

Hey folks,

I have a new Sony T1XP coming in a couple of days.

What is the best and easiest way of imaging the hard disk in it
*before* I actually go through the initial preload sequence where the
computer sets up the OS and all that jazz? I want an image of the
factory installed software as it looks when you first turn it on.

I'm thinking along the lines of an imaging tool like Ghost on a boot
CD, with the image being written to an external USB hard drive. Can
this be done, or is there another easier method?

I understand this machine comes with a hidden partition containing the
restore file(s) as opposed to hard copy CDs, which isn't a problem.
Thing it though I don't trust the restore partition to contain the
exact mirror of the data the laptop has out of the box, unless fellow
owners out there can confirm otherwise.

Thanks for any help.

Rudi
March 24, 2005 1:29:36 AM

I did a similar thing with my new Compaq using Ghost and sending the image
to CD-R's. I waited until I had it set up the way I wanted.

"Rudi Cheow" <newsgroupsKILLSPAM@rudicheow.com> wrote in message
[...]

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 24, 2005 1:30:14 AM

Rudi Cheow wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> I have a new Sony T1XP coming in a couple of days.
>
> What is the best and easiest way of imaging the hard disk in it
> *before* I actually go through the initial preload sequence where the
> computer sets up the OS and all that jazz? I want an image of the
> factory installed software as it looks when you first turn it on.
>
> I'm thinking along the lines of an imaging tool like Ghost on a boot
> CD, with the image being written to an external USB hard drive. Can
> this be done, or is there another easier method?
>
> I understand this machine comes with a hidden partition containing the
> restore file(s) as opposed to hard copy CDs, which isn't a problem.
> Thing it though I don't trust the restore partition to contain the
> exact mirror of the data the laptop has out of the box, unless fellow
> owners out there can confirm otherwise.

Try to find a copy of Drive Image 7 or earlier on ebay. Ghost in its
current form will not do what you want to do unless you remove the drive
from your laptop and install it in another machine that has an OS
installed--to make an image it has to be running from an installed and
operating copy of Windows.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

"J. Clarke" wrote:

> Rudi Cheow wrote:
>
> > Hey folks,
> >
> > I have a new Sony T1XP coming in a couple of days.
> >
> > What is the best and easiest way of imaging the hard disk in it
> > *before* I actually go through the initial preload sequence where the
> > computer sets up the OS and all that jazz? I want an image of the
> > factory installed software as it looks when you first turn it on.
> >
> > I'm thinking along the lines of an imaging tool like Ghost on a boot
> > CD, with the image being written to an external USB hard drive. Can
> > this be done, or is there another easier method?
> >
> > I understand this machine comes with a hidden partition containing the
> > restore file(s) as opposed to hard copy CDs, which isn't a problem.
> > Thing it though I don't trust the restore partition to contain the
> > exact mirror of the data the laptop has out of the box, unless fellow
> > owners out there can confirm otherwise.
>
> Try to find a copy of Drive Image 7 or earlier on ebay. Ghost in its
> current form will not do what you want to do unless you remove the drive
> from your laptop and install it in another machine that has an OS
> installed--to make an image it has to be running from an installed and
> operating copy of Windows.

How 'bout Acronis True Image?

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage...

Notan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 24, 2005 4:10:46 AM

Thanks for all the tips guys. I did some research and downloaded a
trial of Acronis's True Image. It appears that True Image will handle
what I want to do (and a lot more besides).

It can burn a boot CD, which I can use to boot the laptop. The boot
application allows you to do all sorts of things (it's almost a
full-featured True Image in its own right) including creating an image
and saving the image file onto an external USB2 hard drive.

Seems like a great piece of software.

Thanks,
Rudi
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 24, 2005 11:34:06 AM

"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:
>Ghost in its
>current form will not do what you want to do unless you remove the drive
>from your laptop and install it in another machine that has an OS
>installed--to make an image it has to be running from an installed and
>operating copy of Windows.

Doesn't Ghost still boot from a DOS floppy?
March 24, 2005 1:27:25 PM

I used Norton Ghost on my Dell laptop combined with a DVD+RW.

I believe I read somewhere that Ghost might have problems working with
certain brands of external USB devices, DVD writers included and so I
recommend downloading a Trial copy from the Symantec website b4 you make the
actual purchase.

As for the restore partition, I deleted mine coz' 4GB is very costly in
terms of a laptop's limited hard disk capacity. I prefer to keep the restore
partition on DVD media.

Regards,

MacGyver.

"JustMe" <Inkspots@spam.com> wrote in message
>I did a similar thing with my new Compaq using Ghost and sending the image
> to CD-R's. I waited until I had it set up the way I wanted.
>
> "Rudi Cheow" <newsgroupsKILLSPAM@rudicheow.com> wrote in message
> Hey folks,
>
> I have a new Sony T1XP coming in a couple of days.
>
> What is the best and easiest way of imaging the hard disk in it
> *before* I actually go through the initial preload sequence where the
> computer sets up the OS and all that jazz? I want an image of the
> factory installed software as it looks when you first turn it on.
>
> I'm thinking along the lines of an imaging tool like Ghost on a boot
> CD, with the image being written to an external USB hard drive. Can
> this be done, or is there another easier method?
>
> I understand this machine comes with a hidden partition containing the
> restore file(s) as opposed to hard copy CDs, which isn't a problem.
> Thing it though I don't trust the restore partition to contain the
> exact mirror of the data the laptop has out of the box, unless fellow
> owners out there can confirm otherwise.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Rudi

March 24, 2005 6:15:22 PM

I put my copy on a bootable cd as I don't have a floppy drive. You can
actually start the ghost imagine from windows but all that does is reboot
you into dos to do the imaging.

<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:
>Ghost in its
>current form will not do what you want to do unless you remove the drive
>from your laptop and install it in another machine that has an OS
>installed--to make an image it has to be running from an installed and
>operating copy of Windows.

Doesn't Ghost still boot from a DOS floppy?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 24, 2005 6:15:23 PM

JustMe wrote:

> I put my copy on a bootable cd as I don't have a floppy drive. You can
> actually start the ghost imagine from windows but all that does is reboot
> you into dos to do the imaging.
>
> <William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
> "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:
>>Ghost in its
>>current form will not do what you want to do unless you remove the drive
>>from your laptop and install it in another machine that has an OS
>>installed--to make an image it has to be running from an installed and
>>operating copy of Windows.
>
> Doesn't Ghost still boot from a DOS floppy?

This may be true for older versions of Ghost, but the current version, which
is a repackaged Drive Image with little if any relation to older products
sold under the "Ghost" brand, does not run from a DOS diskette. It
includes a bootable CD which can restore but not image and when instructed
to make an image does it directly from Windows without rebooting.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
March 24, 2005 9:58:52 PM

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 22:29:36 GMT, "JustMe" <Inkspots@spam.com> wrote:

>I did a similar thing with my new Compaq using Ghost and sending the image
>to CD-R's. I waited until I had it set up the way I wanted.
>
>"Rudi Cheow" <newsgroupsKILLSPAM@rudicheow.com> wrote in message
>Hey folks,
>
>I have a new Sony T1XP coming in a couple of days.
>
>What is the best and easiest way of imaging the hard disk in it
>*before* I actually go through the initial preload sequence where the
>computer sets up the OS and all that jazz? I want an image of the
>factory installed software as it looks when you first turn it on.
>
>I'm thinking along the lines of an imaging tool like Ghost on a boot
>CD, with the image being written to an external USB hard drive. Can
>this be done, or is there another easier method?
>
>I understand this machine comes with a hidden partition containing the
>restore file(s) as opposed to hard copy CDs, which isn't a problem.
>Thing it though I don't trust the restore partition to contain the
>exact mirror of the data the laptop has out of the box, unless fellow
>owners out there can confirm otherwise.
>
>Thanks for any help.
>
>Rudi

I recently bought a Sony laptop and found out that it comes complete
with software to burn the hard disk image to cd's or DVD,s if you have
the appropiate burner. It worked great with mine. I also have ghost
but was not needed for that.
March 25, 2005 1:54:39 AM

"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote in message
news:D 1v13k0239d@news3.newsguy.com...

This may be true for older versions of Ghost, but the current version, which
is a repackaged Drive Image with little if any relation to older products
sold under the "Ghost" brand, does not run from a DOS diskette. It
includes a bootable CD which can restore but not image and when instructed
to make an image does it directly from Windows without rebooting.

Looks like I won't be upgrading any time soon. I just don't like the idea
of imaging the data that your currently using. I'll stick with Ghost 2003
dos mode.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 28, 2005 9:04:55 PM

> Try to find a copy of Drive Image 7 or earlier on ebay. Ghost in its
> current form will not do what you want to do unless you remove the drive
> from your laptop and install it in another machine that has an OS
> installed--to make an image it has to be running from an installed and
> operating copy of Windows.

Ghost 9.0 or whatever is the latest, no. But it includes a free copy
of Ghost 2003, which you can easily make DOS disks to backup any HD w/o
modifying it by installing anything, booting it up, etc. You can make a
100% fresh, untouched, unbooted backup using Ghost 2003.

So in that sense, you get two programs for the price of one.
!