Hard locks - too hard to track source

meuqsaco

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Hello,

I thought my issues were solved, but I was wrong. Before I tell what the problem is, here are the specs:

CPU: Intel I7 2600
GPU: EVGA GTX 570
Memory: 2x4gb Kingston Hyperx 1600 mhz
Mobo: Asus P8P67 PRO
Power Supply: FSP Aurum Gold 700
Audio: Onboard

My computer freezes during gaming, when iddle in Windows, when installing Windows and even inside BIOS(latest version). It can happen 5 times in 30 minutes or once every 12 hours. This computer is 7 months old, and I believe after 2-3 months the freezing started. At start it would freeze maybe once ever 3 days or so. Then it started freezing almost daily and now it freezes 1-7 times a day.

- So far, I've tried switching my GTX 570 for 2 other weaker cards and the freezing continued.

- Then I tried both sticks of RAM separately and on different slots. I even tried another monitor, as I had visual problems because of a bad HDMI cable, in the past. This also did not work. Also, my memory is set to run at a lower frequency and voltage(1333mhz/1.5v). This is automatically set by the mobo, altough the memory has a XMP profile to run at 1600mhz and 1.65V. Both configurations did not work.

- I cleaned my entire case and all it's components of dust(barely had any) and reseated every component and replugged every cable twice.

- I've run several 15 minutes sessions of furmark. This did not cause any artifacts or shutdowns.

- I've run memtest(boot version) several times. I've seen at least 20 passes so far, altough not sequential and not a single error.

- I've run Prime95 for over 8 hours. This did return a error on one of the workers, saying "rounding was 0.5 expected less than 0.4". The error occurred after 7 hours.

- I've run CHKDSK and it did not return a single bad sector.

- In any of the previous steps, my computer did freeze at least once, but the pattern makes me believe the following:
1 - It is not memory because memtest did not return a single error after 20 or so passes. Also, if it was memory, it would probably be a single stick of it and not both of them at the same time.
2 - It is not the power supply because my system would most likely shutdown or restart and my motherboard would also most likely beep telling my there is not enough power. Additionally, this is a very good power supply and I've monitored the voltages and they are all correct with barely any percentage of fluctuation.
3 - It is not the GPU. Running furmark for several sessions without artifacts or shutdowns and also trying different GPUs on different slots did not seize the freezing.
4 - It is not temperature. The case is very well ventilated and the temps of every component is below the average reported by the manufacturers.
5 - It is not software. I had most recent drivers for everything inside my computer and it still froze. Stock drivers that were running fine during the first months of my PC also did not work. Reinstalling Windows did not work. The biggest proof though is that it froze inside BIOS.
6 - It is not the Hard Disk. The proof is that it froze inside BIOS, with the HD cables unplugged.

I believe the issue is either the motherboard or the CPU, most likely the first. I don't think there is anything else to do, as I have no spare mobo or CPU to test. I'm thinking of buying a new motherboard, but before that, I wanted to know what is everyone's opinion about this and if there is something else that can solve the problem.

Thank you

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
I would expect intermittent freezing to be either RAM or temperature, but it isn't temperature, and doesn't seem to be RAM. It has to be hardware, as it does it is the BIOS. Are you overclocking at all? What happened when running with only one stick of RAM? Did you try the other stick?

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007

Well,,seeing as how you are planning on , maybe, replacing the mobo,, have you falshed the bios ??..

meuqsaco

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012

I tried running each stick separetly and also on different slot with different stock and lower voltages and speeds. Nothing seized the freezing. I'm not overclocking at all.

meuqsaco

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012

Yes, I've flashed it to the most updated version. I think I have done pretty much anything already. All that is left is start replacing. I'm going to buy a new mobo tomorrow and if it does not solve my problem, I'll just donate this computer or something. I'm really sick of these kinds of problems to be honest, as I always try to buy quality hardware and take excellent care of it, but something always fails. I'll just buy cheap crap next time as it is going to fail anyway.