PSU question

G

Sorry, i just noticed

here is the list:
CPU - AMD Athlon II X3 Tri Core 450 3.20GHz (Socket AM3) Processor
RAM - 4GB Patriot Signature (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Dual Channel Kit
GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 460 Cyclone Overclocked Edition 1024MB GDDR5 Graphics Card
MOBO - Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3 MA770 (Socket AM3) DDR3 Motherboard
HDD - 250GB Samsung Spinpoint M7 Hard Drive - HDD
CASE + PSU - Arianet DS01A Black Midi Case 500W PSU
DRIVER - Samsung SH-S223C 22x Internal DVD±R/RW SATA Drive - Black
COOLER - Coolermaster Hyper TX3 CPU Cooler
CASE FAN - Zaward Golf Fan GII 80x32mm Fan (x2)

total: ~400

I would be grateful if people could also review my build.

Seeing you went for a sensible cheap but OCable 770 chipset which means u are sticking to single GPU set ups all the way for a wee bit of headroom for future upgrades i'd hit a 500-600W 80+ quality PSU for a one time investment ^^ On UK/Europe the usual suspects would be

BeQuiet Pure power 530
Antec High Current Gamer 520

G

I haven't really thought of the monitor yet, was considering hooking it up to my LCD tv.

4745454b

Titan
You might want to do some checking on that Antec gamer PSU. Hard just reviewed the 900W model and it can't output anything over 80% of its rated power. First bad Delta sourced review I've seen. There might be something wrong with the gamer line, though I'm sure I've seen good reviews of its 700 (or was it 800W?) cousin.

In the Antec High Current Gamer series the HCG-400, HCG-520 and HCG-620 are OEM'd by Seasonic. The HCG-750 and HCG-900 are OEM'd by Delta Electronics.

The HCG-900 that failed on HardOCP's test seems to be an anomaly. I place more confidence in JonnyGURU's test reviews than HardOCP's and always look for more than one test review.

muzza123

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
thanks for the responses, ive opted for the BeQuiet Pure power 530. I just wanted to know if its necessary to splash out on a case, would a £30-40 case be just as good as a 80-90 one

Casing looks/budget is subjective: some peeps would splash for their dream casings while others would just pick a decent case with reasonable cooling options and hit other areas for performance gains - it's your call i guess ^^

4745454b

Titan
I went with a cheap case, I don't regret it to much. I did have a blow hole installed and used an old 120MM fan from a PSU to help with cooling. I'm thinking about buying a new case with the drive cage turned so that I don't have to remove any cards to change my drives. (I'm always upgrading them, up to nearly 2TBs now spread over 3 drives.)