Ivy bridge vs sandy bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyler94

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Hello,
I was looking to build a gaming rig this summer because my alienware m11x laptop isn't giving me enough power and i was wondering if i should buy the sandy bridge i7 2600k cpu or wait for the ivy bridge later this year.

Solution

Intel recently said (May 4th) that IB will be debuting 22nm and trigate tech, this *Fall*. Intel has been saying Fall 2011 for IB since early this year.

A lot of Intel's road maps show IB as Spring 2012, but those road maps were re-used older maps. All of their press releases have been saying...
Ivy Bridge won't be released until some time in 2012. Intel does have the capability to move the release forward if they see a real reason to do so (like Bulldozer beating up on Sandy Bridge or something).

The only thing Intel has in the pipe for this year is Sandy Bridge-"E" and those will be very expensive compared to today's Sandy Bridge. There's a stickied topic at the top of this section that has Ivy Bridge and Sandy Bridge-E info.

Kewlx25

Distinguished

Intel recently said (May 4th) that IB will be debuting 22nm and trigate tech, this *Fall*. Intel has been saying Fall 2011 for IB since early this year.

A lot of Intel's road maps show IB as Spring 2012, but those road maps were re-used older maps. All of their press releases have been saying Fall.

Solution

Supposedly Intel will be making some announcement on Tuesday, so you should stay tuned.

Also a rumor that Bulldozer is pushed back again, but only 2 - 4 weeks apparently. However zero confirmation on that, so I don't give it much credence.

Looks like Ivy Bridge is getting pushed back, and not pulled forward as some had hoped...

March/April 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.