CPU + other related questions, need good advice!

Hello,

Current system,
i5 2.8 ghz (760)
4 gig corsair dominators
5770 xfx 1gig card
750 PSU Coolmax something.. lol

here is my question, when playing high end games i am not satified with my performance... I am running on a 42 LG LCD TV reason is long but thats what i have for now. Does that effect my performance?

When it comes to getting upgrades I am really lost at this point. How do I know if I need more CPU power vs More GPU power or just straight up more ram?

I would ideally love to get a balance where I feel all key parts of my rig are kinda on equal parts.

Personally I think my GPU is my weakest link, opinions? Safe to overclock my current gpu and cpu? should I?

Help me decide which upgrades I should do if any or first try to OC my system a bit? Or is it just a case of getting a proper monitor which I think might be easier for my system to run on?

I am not very techy as you can probably tell but I do appreciate any and all advice I get!

THANKS IN ADVANCED!!

Philip.
9 answers Last reply
More about related questions good advice
  1. The size of the TV doesn't matter; the resolution does.
    Yeah, it looks like your gpu is the bottleneck. What kind of budget do you have?
    Definitely overclock gpu and cpu.
  2. What are your actual framerates?
  3. i think around 300.00 cdn for my budget. I am thinking just to invest in a better high end gpu, do a bit of OC to the i5 and keept the rest the same.

what do you think or suggest? how high could i get that 2.8 i5 to go?
  4. any gpu u would suggest?
  5. I recommend a 6870, 6950 1Gb or 6950 2Gb depending on if you want to spend most or the budget or not you should have enough left for a hyper 212+ cooler for some overclocking
  6. simon12 said:
    I recommend a 6870, 6950 1Gb or 6950 2Gb depending on if you want to spend most or the budget or not you should have enough left for a hyper 212+ cooler for some overclocking

+1
  7. simon12 said:
    I recommend a 6870, 6950 1Gb or 6950 2Gb depending on if you want to spend most or the budget or not you should have enough left for a hyper 212+ cooler for some overclocking

Yup.

The HD69501GB is around $240CAN and has roughly 2x the jam of your HD5770 at stock - 1920x1080 rez.

The HD5770 is a great card but starts to lose steam after 16x10. A CF would be a great bargain but yah won't come very close to the levels of the 6950 - unscientific shot at it: 2xHD5770 = 75-80% of a HD69501gb
  8. i have the asus P7P55D mobo yes it has sli
  9. No 2x5770 will perform between a 6850 and a 6870 crossfire does not scale that well on 5xxx series. Its still a good and cheap upgrade though.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs