3D Modeling/Gaming Rig, $1000-1500

gyrik_22

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Hello Tom's,

I'm putting together a new system for home use (gaming) as well as to use for heavy 3D modeling/rendering work, specifically Autodesk Maya ans ZBrush software suites (in addition to Adobe PS CS5).

I have somewhere between $1200-1500 for the build, with a preference for budget constraints assuming it doesnt significantly detract from performance.

Approximate Purchase Date: March or April 2011.

Budget Range: $1200-1500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: 3D Modelling/Rendering, Graphic Design, Gaming, Browsing

Parts Not Required: None, but focusing more on internal hardware currently since I can deal with using my Logitech MX Revolution for a little while.

Preferred Website(s) for parts: newegg.com

Country of Origin: Boston, MA

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, Asus mobo, Nvidia GPU

Overclocking: Doubt it!

SLI or XFire: Not at this time.

Monitor Resolution: 1600x1050 minimum

Additional Comments: I've been eyeing the Intel i5-2500k and the GeForce GTX 560 Ti as likely candidates, and have had good luck with Asus boards in the past. Also highly considering an Antec case but haven't looked into it as of yet.

Thanks for the help!

Solution
Sb is expected to be back in April. However, that also happens to be about when Bulldozer is expected to come out.

My advice is that if you can wait until then and make a new topic as our recommendations may change by then.

In general though, go with a Nvidia GPU for CUDA. You can easily fit in a gtx 570 with that budget.

I'd also recommend getting a 1080p monitor since they're pretty cheap now.
ex. this 21.5" asus is $135 after promo code and rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236100

banthracis

Distinguished
Sb is expected to be back in April. However, that also happens to be about when Bulldozer is expected to come out.

My advice is that if you can wait until then and make a new topic as our recommendations may change by then.

In general though, go with a Nvidia GPU for CUDA. You can easily fit in a gtx 570 with that budget.

I'd also recommend getting a 1080p monitor since they're pretty cheap now.
ex. this 21.5" asus is $135 after promo code and rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236100

Solution

gyrik_22

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
I haven't heard of Bulldozer before; I went to do a bit of digging, and as interesting as it looks I'm not sure jumping on a brand new tech right out of the gate is the best plan. Despite the small recall issue, Intel CPUs seem to be pretty rock solid. Call it a bit of fan bias too; I've had my fair share of annoyances with AMD chips.

Solid advice on the monitor. I don't know enough to pin down a mobo; I know this depends a lot on CPU, but any particular suggestions?

gyrik_22

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
With the Sandy Bridge chipset coming back from recall, it's time to actually put a system together!

Case: Antec Three Hundred or CM 600 (open to suggestions)

CPU: i7-2600/2600k

Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Rev. 3

Cooler: Not sure yet, looked at a CoolerMaster V8

Memory: Corsair XMS 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3

HD: 2x Seagate 500GB Sata NCQ

GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti or 570

PSU: Also unsure, looked at the Corsair ATX 750W and 800W

I'll probably be looking to pick up a new monitor and a mouse/keyboard, but am looking for what the best options are for the internal parts first.