Sign in with
Your question

Installing new PSU. quick question!

Last response: in Systems
February 16, 2011 7:32:05 PM

Got a new PSU I'm installing for my PC. It's a single rail PSU and I have the option to plug my HDD and CD Drive on the same or two different cables. Should I use one or two to do this? Or would it even make a difference? Thanks!
a b B Homebuilt system
February 16, 2011 7:37:39 PM

If you only have 1 HDD and 1 CD drive, then I don't think it will make a difference one way or the other...
m
l
February 16, 2011 7:51:44 PM

Ok another quick question.... I noticed that my power for the CPU at the top has a removable cap to make it 8 pin instead of 4 pin. I ran 4 pin with my other PSU. Should I use 8 pin instead? or will it make a difference?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
February 16, 2011 7:58:41 PM

If the mobo has a 4 pin slot for CPU power use the 4 pin, if it has a 8pin slot, use a 8 pin.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 16, 2011 7:59:32 PM

Does your new PSU have an 8-pin connector? If not then the 4 pin will work. Also be sure that it is a CPU 8-pin, and NOT a PCIe 8-pin connector..
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 16, 2011 8:05:19 PM

Cable slots are standard, an 8 pin connector is an 8 pin connector. There is no CPU 8 pin vs a GPu 8 pin.

Typically 8pin connector Mobo's are enthusiast boards which support higher OCing and hence have 8 phase power as a result.

You can read your mobo manual for details, but since you paid for a feature, might as well utilize it.
m
l
February 16, 2011 8:06:40 PM

Alright, almost finished. All 4 case fans on a single PSU cord? or split it two and two? Guessing once again that it doesn't really matter.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 17, 2011 1:05:43 AM

banthracis said:
Cable slots are standard, an 8 pin connector is an 8 pin connector. There is no CPU 8 pin vs a GPu 8 pin.

Typically 8pin connector Mobo's are enthusiast boards which support higher OCing and hence have 8 phase power as a result.

You can read your mobo manual for details, but since you paid for a feature, might as well utilize it.

The PCI Express 2.0 specification released in January 2007 added an 8 pin PCI Express power cable. It's just an 8 pin version of the 6 Pin PCI Express power cable. Both are primarily used to provide supplemental power to video cards. The older 6 pin version officially provides a maximum of 75 watts (although unofficially it can usually provide much more) whereas the new 8 pin version provides a maximum of 150 watts. It is very easy to confuse the 8 pin version with the very similar-looking EPS 8 pin 12 volt cable.

The 8 pin PCI Express and the EPS 8 pin 12 volt connectors are polarized differently so you won't be able to plug one kind of cable into the other kind of connector. That is, you won't be able to plug the wrong kind of cable in unless you try really hard.
m
l
!