Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Alternative for Sandy Beach chips and MOBO for DAW

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
May 19, 2011 2:32:08 AM

Dear Techies,

I am a midi orchestrator/ film composer. I am building a DAW to run Finale, Garrison Inst, Cue Base and Steinberg programs (I am buying an audio interface like Maudio).

Thanks to your threads and excellent members, I found out that the Sandy Beach I5 and i7 ( 2nd gen) chips which I wanted are not viable for quite a while.That leaves the LGA 1156 OR LGA 1136 SOCKETS to decide on.

Question: Would this be a good component solution...?
Intel I5 760 with
ASUS P7H55M USB3 (MOBO)
A fire wire ( which one ?)
two fast TB HDS (7200) ( which ones ?)
=cool master [POWER 550 or ? )

I have read all of the threads and you have covered some of this very well however I would like a final confirmation from you smart guys and gals out there so I don't blow it.I am open to the 1136 but not many people mention it so I am not feeling confident that it is the right component. Also I live in Thailand and no one seems to know about the sandy beach recall, so I am on my own out here looking for a paddle.

Thank you and please excuse my Computer ignorance in advance...I am just a composer trying to make the right decision...this is my first self built DAW.

a c 116 à CPUs
May 19, 2011 3:05:20 AM

by the sounds of it your a little confused.
its sandy bridge and comes on the chipsets the h67,p67and z68
there all i5 socket 1155 although the 2600k is classed as i7 but still fits

the i5 760 is a socket 1156 wich is ok for the 760 but for pretty much the same price you could have a 2600k and h67 motherboard, you should be able to get 1 in thailand

there is only 1 kind of fire wire and all it is, is a cable between devices. so as long as you buy 2 firewire devices then you can use firewire instead of usb giving faster transfer speeds between the 2

2 fast 1tb hdds? samsung spinpoint f3 7200rpm 32mb cache. there great for big files not so great for small 1s. but over all for the money there some of the fasted hdds out there. i have 3, 2 of them in raid 0 an i get r/w speeds averaging 200mbps+ which is nearly ssd teritory. (try geting a 2 tb SSD for $140)
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 19, 2011 3:24:52 AM

Sandy bridge recall has is all worked out. They should be available now.
m
l
May 21, 2011 2:27:53 AM

HEXiT said:
by the sounds of it your a little confused.
its sandy bridge and comes on the chipsets the h67,p67and z68
there all i5 socket 1155 although the 2600k is classed as i7 but still fits

the i5 760 is a socket 1156 wich is ok for the 760 but for pretty much the same price you could have a 2600k and h67 motherboard, you should be able to get 1 in thailand

there is only 1 kind of fire wire and all it is, is a cable between devices. so as long as you buy 2 firewire devices then you can use firewire instead of usb giving faster transfer speeds between the 2

2 fast 1tb hdds? samsung spinpoint f3 7200rpm 32mb cache. there great for big files not so great for small 1s. but over all for the money there some of the fasted hdds out there. i have 3, 2 of them in raid 0 an i get r/w speeds averaging 200mbps+ which is nearly ssd teritory. (try geting a 2 tb SSD for $140)

Dear HEXit ,

Thank you ! for your informative and helpful response. You are very kind to help guide us newbies

Ok .... I am semi-convinced not to worry about the replacement sandy bridge and to get the " 2600k ( I5 or cheap I7 )and h67 ( which one please ?) 1155 socket ...
motherboard". Most threads seem to like the new gen intel I-5 over the the AMD ( but not by much)... I like having the intel upgrade path and losing the I5 760 idea.

For building a DAW ( Finale, Garrison large sample lib. and vst plug inns , Cue Base ) :

1. if I go with SANDY BRIDGE I5 CHIP (
1 a. which do you suggest for best bang for the buck)
1 b. what MOBO would you suggest (ASUS or ?)

2. Going this rout , do you think I should go with the 1600 ram ( 4 gigs) or 1333 ( 8 gigs)?

3. I am sorry but I am ignorant regarding your answer " you buy 2 firewire devices " .... What do you mean ?

Once again thanks for your patience and help,

Brian Green

m
l
a c 127 à CPUs
May 21, 2011 3:40:58 AM

You can easily get a Core i5 2500K that will overclock the same and only has a bit less L3 cache and no SMT. Its about $100 less.

I would go for a Asus based H67, they tend to be the best.

I would go for more ram over faster ram. The IMC on 1333 is already very fast and more ram will benefit you in the long run.
m
l
a c 110 à CPUs
May 21, 2011 12:46:51 PM

No CPU over-clocking on H67 ...
m
l

Best solution

a c 116 à CPUs
May 22, 2011 3:13:10 AM

damn it i always forget sumthing.... forgot my head the other day... i wondered why my hat kept falling off ;) 

2 firewire devices. a pc with a firewire port and a printer with a fire wire port... you connect the 2 with a firewire cable.

better to get more ram. if the 1333 ram has lower latency it will actually be more efficient than the faster 1600 ram.

as for motherboards. there all pretty similar at there price points. so i tend to go on customer service and warranty. for that msi, gigabyte and xfx have stand out reputation.
asus i was less than happy with.
p67 allows for overclocking.
h67 has allows onboard gfx but limits overclocking.
the z68 has cache features and gives overall more versatility for your setup config.
the h61 i havent seen anything as of yet so cant comment on it. im sure ps3hacker will give you all the details.

now to choose your cpu. it depends what you want from it. do your apps need or use multithreading? if so then there will be a marked difference in performance in some cases, but not all.

if 4 cores is enough then the 2500k is a good deal but if you feel you can benefit from the extra threading then the 2600k should be your choice.
yes it costs quite a bit more but it does give added robustness to your over all system config.
May 29, 2011 2:23:02 AM

Best answer selected by Briangreen.
m
l
May 29, 2011 2:35:18 AM

Well... Thank you everyone so much for your assistance. This site is very helpful and the members are extremely knowledgeable. Thank you to all but especially Hexit.
I purchased the Asus p67 with in-tel i2500 , 8gigs ram , 2 -7200 rpm TB HD's, I am purchasing a prosonus fire box. Cant wait to finish the set up and actually start composing again.
m
l
!