AMD Phenom x4 955 or 965?

fjnv

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
Got a quick question, what is the difference between the 2 processors? and which of the 2 is good for overclocking?

The 965 is most likely 'binned' a touch higher --- as far as the qualifications for higher binning in AMD testing and evaluation process, who knows?

If you are the OC'ing type that 200MHz difference is pretty much what you will get at the top end when cranking on them. Just a hunch.

fjnv

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
I'm planning to use one of these processors for my upgrade from an athlon 64 x2. My budget is 150 below if I can get one these processors cheap I'll spend the extra buck for a heat sink and fan, for my over clocking, because I read some reviews about the stock fan that came with it and its pretty loud and hard to put up. what would you guys recommend for an aftermarket cooling for one of these processors?

I have been reading this forum regularly and people just seem to get 4-4.2GHz on air with any Phenom X4 BE. I think AMDs production of these is so good now they can nearly all reach 4GHz+ and 4.2 is the limit for the design on air. Do you have any evidence that the 965 can clock higher.

Personally I'd say stretch your budget and go for the 975, 3.6GHz standard clock
I was set on a 955, ignored the 965 because as Baker says, if your overclocking, you dont need to pay the extra for the 965 do it yourself, its basically the same chip then I saw the 975....
and yes, Water or Ln2 is the way to go for superclocks
Moto

Some of the guys at XS by using the OPN# can somehow identify what portion of the wafer the chip came from, in addition to the week, etc. I believe part of the silicon does make a difference in the binning quality.

Then again, I might be hallucinating :ouch:

I've tried to find the information again but it is buried somewhere in the middle of a 57+ page thread.

It's probably a more closely guarded secret than the BD-Z benchmark reviews.

brett1042002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
The 955 C3 stepping is capable of running stable @ 3.8-3.9ghz on air by just increasing the multiplier to 19x or 19.5x. Like others have said, 4 - 4.2ghz is the wall.

My 955 is the C2 stepping, anything over 3.8ghz and it crashes. I've ran it at 3.6ghz (18x multiplier) for the past 2 years with no issues. Still going strong.

My vote is the 955 C3. It will, most likely, overclock the same as the 965. Good luck!

jbakerlent

Distinguished
I would say, since your budget is $150 and you plan to get a HSF with that, save a few dollars on the 955 and put it towards a good cooler. If you're not overclocking, that is when I would recommend a higher stock clocked CPU (probably higher than a 965 though). There is some debate whether the supposed higher binning really improves overclocking headroom.