Need help with build.

PRBoricua

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
Greetings everybody,

Let's start first with some back round info. I'm looking to build a new computer (mine is four years old, and it's about that time). I would love to build a new computer that is with-in the $1,200 price range and can be ordered by Friday, February 18th/19th at the latest.

Regarding: Sandy Bridge CPU, I would love to wait around for Sandy Bridge to become available, but it just isn't an option right now unfortunately. This is the only time during the year I will have the extra funds to procure a new computer, and therefore waiting until late March, early April for the Sandy Bridge chip just isn't an option at this time. Upgrading to that chip in a year or so is definitely an option however, and will be considered down the line. I'd like to build around the geforce GTX 560 ti, unless there are better bang for buck options available to me. Now without further adieu, the list.

Approximate Purchase Date: February 18th/19th

Budget Range: $1,200 roughly. (Rebates don't matter to me, as they rarely work)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, gaming, gaming, web browsing. Some games I'd like to run well would be Civilization V, Rift, DC Universe: Online, StarCraft II, Dragon Age II, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Shogun 2: Total War.

Parts Not Required: Case (Lian Li Lancool PC-K58W), Keyboard, Mouse, Operating System (Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit), Seasonic S12 II Bronze 620w PSU.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I'm open to any website with a good price, be that eBay, Newegg, NCIX or Amazon.

Country of Origin: US

Parts Preferences: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti.

Overclocking: Yes, would love to learn. Have never overclocked before.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe, it's not necessary right away, however I would be open to the option, given the correct price/performance ratio.

Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050 (does this need upgrade?)

Additional Comments: Am at a real loss here, have no idea which direction I'd like to take this rig. So I open the floor to you guys. As far as AMD/Intel goes, that really doesn't matter to me as long as the computer performs well with the games I've listed, I'll be a happy man.

What is your current setup?

I know you said you don't want to wait for SB (or bulldozer I imagine) but you could plan a SB build and just get the parts that you can use now that will carry over into a new build 2 months from now.

For example, the 560 Ti would work with your current system, and you can transfer it over to a new SB build in 2 months.

Some other parts you could purchase now that you can enjoy now and would want to carry over:

Aftermarket heatsink that fits both 1155 and whatever you've got now
More/Faster DDR3 RAM
SSD

The 560 Ti will work awesome for 1680x1050. Maybe you should consider an SLI capable motherboard so if you eventually move up to 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 with a new monitor, you could add a second 560 Ti later.

If you really really want to build now, post back and we'll go in that direction.

There are some places that you can find SB parts. All you'd need to do is replace the motherboard once they fix the problem. Your other choices at the moment are the previous generation i5s or the i7-900s, which are going to be replaced by LGA 2011 shortly after SB is fixed. If you get a i7-900 system, you most likely won't need to replace it for a good while, and the only real upgrade would be the 2011 system.

PRBoricua

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
I'm going to have to build now, income tax money as well as my paycheck are going to coincide to fund the building of this machine. However I would like to build with an eye toward future proofing as much of the rest of the rig as possible, so those things could carry over when I'm ready to jump on the Sandy Bridge bandwagon.

@boiler I'd love to build a sandy bridge machine now if I could, I've looked around and have been pretty un-successful at finding motherboards or CPU's. Could you provide any links? I live in Michigan and parts dealers are sparse around here, there are no Micro Center's nearby, only Best Buy's, and I'm not terribly fond of them.

PRBoricua

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
Sorry rwpritchett didn't see your initial question, my current set-up is as follows:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 Socket 775 LGA
Motherboard: ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0 LGA 775 VIA PT880 Pro
RAM: 2x1GB Kingston DDR 2 RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT

If you get a paycheck and a refund, why not cash them, and put the cash under your mattress and save it until the sb motherboqrds are out?

In the mean time get the GTX560 Ti now, get a decent 24" monitor, a 64gb ssd all of which you can enjoy now.

Watch for deals on ram and other parts while you wait.

There is simply nothing else competitive with a 2500K based system. It is worth the wait.

An interim cheap cpu and mobo will cost you $100-$200 which will be largely wasted.
Consider that as a great return on your investmemt for a month's delay.

PRBoricua

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
Alright, you guys have convinced me to wait for the sandy bridge set-up. If anybody can find an ASUS P8P67 board for sale now, shoot me a link and I'll greatly appreciate it. Here's what I've got so far.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k Sandy Bridge
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 ti
Mobo: ASUS P8P67 (deluxe?)
RAM: Would like to start with 4 gigs unless there's an amazing deal on 8 gigs some where.
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 tb
SSD: Intel X25-V 40 gb
Case: Lian-Li Lancool PC-K58W
PSU: Seasonic S12II 620w
Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212

And that's what I've got so far. Am I missing anything? Sorry I could not provide links, this was typed with an iPod touch while at work.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

Hi Prboricua :hello: ...Which country do you live in for your nearest online store...I live in Sydney,Australia & there are a lot of online stores that have not taken off their stock of the cougar chipset motherboards from their site pages yet...They should though,but there are a lot that have not ;) ...If you go to PriceSpy Australia,they will have local stores to Australia that you can search for :pt1cable: ...Beware of TechBuy Australia at Silverwater,that is the name of the suburb where this online store is at :fou: ...They have ripped off quite a few people including me & they are too expensive also :fou: ...The only thing going for them is that they have a lot of items on their site pages to choose from :pt1cable: ...Still they have to order in,because they do not have hardly anything in stock & you could wait for up to 6 weeks or more to get a reply telling you that they can not get what you want :fou: ...Anyway happy searching :) ...One place you can go to is called gamedude in Brisbane,Australia...Some times it can take a while,but not a real long time for them to get in contact & ship it to you :) ...

l2p_iwin

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
I will be ordering A P8P67 PRO from overclockers.uk tomorrow and having it shipped to the US. Hopefully this will go off with out a hitch... Only place I can find them for sale. I will be paying around $225 includes shipping. Its a little high but I have 1700 dollars worth of parts that are sitting in my living room and the 30 day warranty is about to run out for doa products. I could have $1700 worth of junk. I think this is my only option at this point so wish me luck. If anyone has any other place in the states or another good dealer in the UK please let me know b4 I buy from them. I have no idea about there rep. Ill report back just to let some people know who are interested.

PRBoricua

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011

Hey l2p_iwin, I just did the EXACT same thing, I feel your pain.