Wireless card detected but not working

aurainfinity

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Hello, I've been having trouble connecting my Dlink DWA 552 wireless adapter to my computer. I properly install it, it's detected by device manager (also says its working properly) yet it wont connect to any networks because it tells me the adapter is not in. The easiest way to describe it is the card is detected but its not sending out (or accepting) a signal to pickup any wireless networks.

I first thought it was a faulty card so i took it back and got a new one the same problem arises. I've tried installing the latest drivers which install but when it comes to configuring the adapter during the setup, it says "adapter not connected, please insert adapter". I've tried putting it into other slots and still nothing. My wireless G card works in the computer but not the wireless N. I have a dlink DIR-655 router and i am running windows 7. I have also called dlink but their support wasn't helpful at all. Hopefully you guys can give me a hand.

Thanks

G

Try going into the computer's BIOS settings (press Del key as computer boots) and disable any ports not in use. The restart Windows a couple of times to reassign resources.

Check Windows Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager to confirm that the D-Link is listed and not yellow flagged as faulty.

aurainfinity

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
I tried the card in my brother's computer running vista 32 bit and it works. Do you know if these cards have had any compatibility issues? Since device manager is detecting the card, wouldn't that mean there are no compatibility issues?

G

If you are using 64 bit Windows you'll need a different driver for that. Even if regular Win 7 I think your next stop is the adapter's maker (D-Link ?) and ask their advice. If there are compat probs they will have heard of it by now. Also try to find out whose chipset the adapter uses -- there may be a newer driver on the chipset maker's site.