Quad video card(s) need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

gelsner

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
Hello,

I have a need for a good video card that will drive 3 nice 24" dell monitors. Pretty fast, but I'm not a gamer. Is there one out there that is just one card or do I need to buy 2 cards for these 3 monitors? I'm willing to spend say in the range of $600 to $800 or so if necessary. Thanks...
/ GE

Solution

gelsner

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
I'm not a gamer; but close to it; I'm a financial guy and need to run 3 monitors with real time data streaming.

I'm now driving my 3 dell 24" monitors with a JATON VIDEO-PX309-QUAD and it has slowed down my computer to a very slow crawl.

I have, not installed, an Asus Graphics: XFX Ge-Force 7900 GT, that will of course drive only 2 monitors; but fast.

Could I buy a 2nd video card that would be fast and compatiable with the ASus card?

Or, given space limitations in the case; is there a single card that will drive all 3 monitors fast?

I looked at the specs for the hd 5970 and the hd 5670; and to my novice eye it appears that they drive only 2 monitors -- am I wrong about this? Or will they drive 4?

I appreciate your advice on this very much; it will help greatly!!!

/ GE

CF'd 5770's can barely manage 40 fps now, over the next three years they are just going to go backwards. Where do you get your info from?

JATON VIDEO-PX309-QUAD is really a budget video card that has been modified to drive 4 monitors. In essence they took a card that probably sold for $50 - $60 (depending on when you bought it), modified it to support 4 DVI connections and then probably sold it for $200 - $250.

Using "Eyefinity" the cards can support 3 monitors. You're options are as follows:

1. DVI, DVI, DisplayPort
2. DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort

As you can see, using DisplayPort is mandatory. If your Dell monitor does not have a DisplayPort connection, then you need to purchase a certified DisplayPort to DVI adapter like the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Accell-B087B-005B-DisplayPort-Single-Link-Certified/dp/B004071ZX0/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1292697780&sr=1-2

I'm pretty sure the HD 5670 is faster older GeForce 7900 GT, but I'm to lazy to research it. I think the HD 5970 is really overkill, therefore I suggest something in the middle... the HD 6850 should be more than enough for an active trader. Just out of curiosity, which streaming tools are you using? It sounds like you're an independent trader.

But before you run out to buy another card, what are the make / model / specs of your computer? It is quite possible you can simply add another nVidia card along side your 7900 GT.

Solution

again a load of crap why would you say the 5970 is a great investment?? there are much newer and cheaper options, if the op is not gaming there is no need to buy a $600 GPU, maybe just get something like a 5670 or a 5770 if you can find a good deal and are not attempting to run modern games in eyeinfinity.

either way do not get a 5970 imo, way more expensive then 5850 crossfire at this point and the 5970 seems to have its fair share of driver issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.