How to Balance GPU/CPU??

aztexkid

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
World Of Warcraft: Cataclysm--Tom's Performance Guide
1:00 AM - December 6, 2010 by Chris Angelini
Quote "We've said it before and we'll say it again: when it comes to gaming, balance is everything. Don't buy a high-end graphics card if you're using a mid-ranged processor; you'll simply handicap the GPU, failing to realize its potential."

Noob qustion, how do I know if it would be balanced appropriately?
This is my first build:
AMD 965 X4 BE
MSI 870A-G54
OCZ 700w Modstream
8GB G Skill DDR 1600
1TB F3 Samsung
NZXT Tempest EVO case

Video card is the last piece to buy. I am leaning toward a 1GB GTX 460. Was going to use a 5770. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks

To be honest I'd go with an HD6850. It's on-par with a GTX460, but the main reason is that you have a Crossfire board. Even at x4 the card will lose a minimal 1FPS on average; nothing noticeable.

This is, of course, assuming you plan on adding a secondary card sometime later down the road. As for your original question, your CPU is perfectly fine. Especially if you get into overclocking a bit (and a ~$30 aftermarket CPU cooler?), you can make sure to eliminate any CPU-side bottlenecks.

As an aside, what's your monitor's resolution?

aztexkid

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
Thanks for the comments.

Shadow187, I have a C Master 212+ on the cpu. I dont know if I will crossfire later, but it might be good to keep that option open. Monitor is 1680x1050 Westinghouse 22" L2210NW. Hope to replace it in the next 90 days. I play mostly World of Warcraft.

matto17secs, "AFTER" is a little late to help my buying decision, lol. I saw the recommendation for balance in the article and wondered which cards would pair nicely with the 965 cpu since I havent bought the video card yet.