Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com
Country of Origin: USA
Parts Preferences: by brand or type: Intel CPU
Overclocking: Maybe
SLI or Crossfire: Maybe
Monitor Resolution: whatever a 19" monitor can do that costs ~$130
Additional Comments: I am a comp. laymen still learning all this stuff

Howdy,
I have been pouring through this site reading all I can to try and learn everything I can. First a little background on what ya'll are dealing with.

I have always had low end comps. from dell or walmart. For instance my main comp. now is an AMD Anthlon 2850e from walmart i bought about a year ago. Before that i had a dell 4700 series stock with an 80gb HD w/ a CRT 17" monitor. So to say I am behind the times is putting it mildly.

Reading this site I see people talking about FPS's on games of 100ish and resolution I didnt even know existed. Lets just say for years I have been playing games on the lowest setting and a good FPS for me is 15 to 20 in WoW in a 1200ishx900ish resolution, heck sometimes 800x600.

Now that ya'll have the background here is what I need help on. I have read tecmo34's "recommended builds by useage" and I just have a couple questions.

First i am looking at his $1,100 gaming build. With those components plus the below items, is this all i would need for a complete build?

windows 7 OS -64 bit
speakers
mouse
keyboard
monitor

I have a router but do I need to buy the device the ethernet cable hooks into on the comp. for internet access? or does that come on another piece of hardware i am already going to buy? sorry I dont know the technical name for it. Am i missing anything?

Also let me say, acceptable gaming performace for me would probably be 30 to 50 fps on the best reso a 19" monitor can get me. So if you see me needing to tweak tecmo34's build please just let me know what i should change. I'd like to keep the CPU and MOBO if possible so in the future i could upgrade to dual graphics cards.

Any input on this and other pointers would be appriceated.
February 17, 2011 5:03:58 AM

Check out my website, I think that the 600$ build would work for your resolution. You don't really need a 1000$ build.

If you want a 1000$ build, you really should just get a bigger monitor resolution because at such a low res. A 150$ card could easily max out any game even crysis at that resolution. To powerful of a card would bottleneck. So you got to balance the power in a sense.

Anyways just check out the 600$ build in my sig.
m
l
February 17, 2011 5:07:42 AM

Dude--I was gonna list your site to save myself time!

Anyways OP, come back when you're ready to build because parts and prices will change. But a computer doesn't have to cost $1000. My current one was only like $700 and that's because I wasted some money. My last one was $360.
m
l
Related resources
February 17, 2011 5:28:32 AM

Haha why thank you dalauder. Sorry couldn't help your friend out with the 555. Gotta keep it for meh dad. Maybe if he wants an upgrade. That's not likely though.
m
l
February 17, 2011 6:42:07 AM

I do up non enthusiast res/settings cheapo WOW/SC2 boxes all the time and something like

Rana X3
HD 4800 series/GTS 250
80+ 380-500W PSU
4GB RAM

would be good to go
m
l
February 18, 2011 9:36:19 PM

Thanks for the input ya''ll. I'm so far behind on computer technology I really didnt know where to start. I'd guess every computer I have ever owned has been a good 10 years behind state of the art. So it's hard to tell what i need just by the component description.
m
l
February 19, 2011 2:29:03 AM

Just check out my link it'll give you'll need to understand each part.
m
l
!