Nividia and Amd compatibility issues?

zzalsaud

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
Hello, i was just wonder ing if there was any thing wrong with pairing the following Graphics cards.
:

VC_PHYSX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+561] (EVGA Superclocked [+45])
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+359] (EVGA Superclocked [+45])
VIDEO2: AMD Radeon HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card [+423] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
VIDEO3: AMD Radeon HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card [+423] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)

The Nivida primary video card is there in order to enable the phsyx card; is that an issue?

Any other feedback would be much appreciated :)

*shaking head*

Ok... question. I get the physx thing, and crossfire 6970s. What is the second 580 doing?

Next... a 580 just to run PhysX? That would be the absolutely biggest and dumbest waste of cash you could throw at a PC. Buy a GTS260 or maybe a GTX450 or 460 if you absolutely have to waste some cash.

Don't know what that second 580 would be for. With CF 6970s it would be a waste.

What resolution are you planning on? Since you apparently have thousands to throw at your PC I'll assume a 1920x1200 3 monitor set up.

TWO 580s would work fine, but might be slightly limited by their VRAM at such intense resolution.

TWO 6970s would work nearly as well, with more VRAM allowing them to accell a bit at that resolution.

With two Nvidia cards you will have PhysX already, but if you get ATI then you could buy a cheap Nvidia card for PhysX, as I mentioned a 260 would be all you need although if we're assuming such crazy resolution then let's just go with a 460 1gb.

To use PhysX with ATI cards present you will need a hack. It's called GenL patch.
http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/17706-hybrid-physx-mod-v1-03-v1-04ff.html

EDIT: I should also mention that a dedicated PhysX card would be in the last slot on the Mobo and have zero outputs used. It also cannot SLI to another card, but two Nvidia cards in SLI will have more than enough power for PhysX to run off them.

EDIT2: What's up with the stuff in the brackets??

zzalsaud

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
Oh, so stock without any hacks the Amd's wont support the Phsyx card? Also on a side note, would that also mean that the Amd's wont support 3d gaming given that there not 3d enabled? I was under the impression that they would, seeing as the Nvidia supported it and the graphics cards were paired.

I think he only has one GTX580, and that it's a system reading (or copypasted off of a website?).
The first one is the PhysX video card, the second one is Video(1?), the third is Video2, the fourth is Video3. He needs to have the GTX580 in Video3.

*And no, you can't run PhysX without special downloads with a mix of ATI and nVidia. I've linked you a nice guide below that should help.
http://www.overclock.net/ati/591872-how-run-physx-windows-7-ati.html

zzalsaud

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
Exactly, and it's only there for two reasons.

#1-3D compatibility

2# the Phsyics card.

Ps: Video card 3 is the phsyics card.

ATI does support 3D but I do not know how well it's working or supported at this time. You'll have to do your own research.

Anyway, I still 100% think a 580 for PhysX is completely assinine... please reconsider that. You're working with a budget of what... $2000 for video cards? (~$600 each plus taxes).

Just buy two 580s and you'll get killer performance, have 3D, have PhysX and have a space heater (lol). What are the rest of your system specs like?

*Also, you have it reversed. PhysX doesn't support AMD. Nvidia decided to put a code in the PhysX that disables the ability to use it if an ATI card is present. On top of that, it is specifically designed to only work on Nvidia architecture. So you NEED an Nvidia card to use it but keep in mind there's only around 10 games that use PhysX acceleration. My GT240 on a 4x PCIe 1.1 lane can handle it. A 580, like I said, would be stupid as JUST a PhysX card. It's like sticking a 1500HP semi truck engine into a lawnmower... to mow lawns.

The HD6970 crossfire has more performance than your single GTX580. Your currently NOT using the HD6970's at all (at least to my knowledge on the subject).

What you need to do is put the HD6970's in slot #'s 1 and 2 (closest to the processor), and the GTX580 in the 3'rd slot. Make sure the monitor's are plugged in to the first HD6970.
What this will do is make your computer utilize the HD6970 Crossfire as the main "Powerhorse" cards, and the GTX580 as an "Add-on" card.

zzalsaud

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
But the only issue with that is i wouldn't be using the Nvidia as my primary gpu hence disabling the physcs card. And why would i not he using my my Amd's? Is it possible to make the physcs card work without having a Nvidia card as my primary Gpu?

The 580 is the only card you have that can do physX. If you have the 580 as your primary card as well, the 6970's do absolutely nothing unless they are there only to drive multiple monitors for an extended desktop.

zzalsaud

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
Yeah Wolfram that was my idea. And on a side note i haven't bought the cards yet. Im writing this from my Blackberry im at the shop atm. Also, seeing as i can get 3d capability out the Amd's why don't i just go for 3x and ditch the Nvidias? What do you guys think?

I'd highly recommend you ditch this hybrid idea. Go 570's or 580's or the 6970's. If you don't care about physX, you'd be happy with any of the 3 choices.

I'll try to be clear.

PhysX only runs on Nvidia cards. PhysX has the ability to run off EITHER the main rendering card OR off a dedicated PhysX card.

You can NOT use an Nvidia card as the main rendering card and ALSO use ATI cards - the ATI cards will be useless.

If you want to run both, ATI will HAVE to be the main rendering cards and Nvidia can be a PhysX dedicated card. And as a dedicated card, you don't need a lot of juice.

If you really want 3D I'd suggest sticking with Nvidia as they have it running really nicely. There will be no need to run a hybrid Nvidia/ATI set up either if you go with two 580s.

I don't understand the whole concept beyond the setup you are talking about. What are you doing that would need more than SLIed GTX 580s? What is the point of the AMD cards?
Just to be clear you can either use AMD or Nvidia cards. If you really need physx and want to use AMD cards you can use the guide shadow linked to have a dedicated Physx card but you certainly should not use a GTX 580 for that purpose. It would be a pointless waste of both power and money.

zzalsaud

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
Thanks Bystander solved i get it now. So i guess all thats left is to ask what would be better.

3x NVIDIA GeForce GTX + 1 Gtx dedicated physics card.
Or
3xAMD Radeon HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card

Seeing as i can get the Amd's to run games on 3d the obvious choice would be the Amd's right?

Nvidia has the most polished version of 3D currently. Unless you meant eyfinity (3 monitors), then AMD has the more polished version.

zzalsaud

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
Im primarily using this Pc for Moh , starcraft, batllefield and wow. Also which of the cards would run more smoothly with an Asus mother board?

TRENDING THREADS