To overclock or not to--i7-2600k

D

Deleted member 362816

Is there any reason to overclock this cpu or not really. Alot of people tell me it is fast enough how it is and people only do it for bragging rights.

Nihilis

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Well I've heard that 2600k has been pushed to a stable 6.1GHz in one case (obviously with crazy cooling.)

The answer depends on your situation. Obviously it is a very fast CPU already, and if you don't have money to spend replacing parts or upgrading cooling, or if you don't have the time to be dealing with potential problems, then there isn't any real need, as 2600k is already a great CPU.

However, pushing the clocks higher will obviously equate to higher performance. It is suggested among reviewers that the primary reason to go for the cheaper SB CPUs is that they can then be OCed to compete with the more expensive 1336 CPUs.

Personally, I won't be OCing mine. But I don't have money to spend on replacing it if/when it all goes balls up.

Whatever you decide, just remember that it is already a great CPU, especially for the price :)

The Intel® Core™ i7-2600K is a great processor, with the ability to be overclocked for much greater performance. With good air cooling the Intel Core i7-2600K can easily clock over 4.5GHz with little problem. So the real question is where you need the extra performance? If you need the extra performance at this time, wait. On the other hand if you are finding that the extra performance may be useful then go ahead as long as you make sure that you have good cooling for the processor.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

D

Deleted member 362816

I have followed a few guides on this but ever overclock i get on my cpu seems to pass prime 4-12 hours but fail in games. no idea.

D

Deleted member 362816

Why wouldn't I lol..... I have overclock'd it, if you would have read more i have tried numerous over-clocks they are all stable in prime but not in games.

D

Deleted member 362816

BC2 does it to me all the time lol, I know alot of people that hold a solid stable 5.2ghz on the 2600k for everything but games. Wonder why?

D

Deleted member 362816

Lol yes yes and my dad wants my 2x580's think im going to get 2x gtx 590's but i have heard alot of bad things about them so far lol.

One GTX 590 is enough... The GTX 590 quad SLi will not scale very well. It's about $400 down the drain. Grab two GTX 580s and be happy. hahaha It will perform better. Also, the GTX 590s have been known for breaking. I suggest two hd6950s unlocked. Great price/performance and will give you a kick-butt system. :lol: