GTX460 work with Core 2 duo set-up?

AidanKay

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
G'day,

I'm looking to buy a Gigabyte GTX460 1GB OC and was wondering if it would work (not be too heavily bottlenecked) on my current PC.

Specs:

■Asus P5KPL-AM/PS Mobo

■Core 2 Quad 6600

■Team Xtreem Dark 2GB PC6400

■Coolermaster Real Power M700 PSU

..in a Thermaltake Armor case.

I am going to be upgrading in the very near future, I just don't want to spend all the christmas shopping money on myself :p.

Should this set-up work fine enough to play Fallout:New Vegas?

Cheers,

-Aidan.

P.S: I meant core 2 quad, not duo -palms forehead-

fallout new vegas is not a very graphically demanding game so a gtx460 will be great. Should be able to run it with 4xaa on and all details cranked up at 1080p res. There will be no major bottleneck. A faster CPU may get you a few more FPS, but its not really needed. That setup should be able to play all games available at high detail.

AidanKay

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010

Ah awesome, the monitor I'm on only has a native res. of 1440x900 anyways.

A little off-topics, but how long do you believe two GTX 460's in SLI would last? I mean with keeping up with technology and games. I'm not really interested in running things at full settings, especially if it's going to hinder the framerate.. so in theory it could last a few years, safely. You think?

AidanKay

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010

And that right there is the reason I got the G0-stepping Q6600. Do you knoroughly what speed I could be looking at for the stock cooler? 2.8GHz?

Cheers for your answer, and to the mods - had to reply individually because it wouldn't let me multi-quote for some reason.

-Aidan.

If you are really wanting to know how one will perform on a low end 775 system then I could take my GTX 460 and dump it on my e7200 system that has slow ass ram on a slow 780i then try it. You got a decent cpu even now so stop worrying. It isn't like you got a 108 inch plasma running at 4096×3072 and wanting 64x AA and AF models, yes it can go that high on a quad sli machine.

AidanKay

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010

That would actually help put my mind at ease, would be an interesting comparison also, to the higher end computers the card would get benchmarked on nowadays. I like numbers, what can I say? Half my family are accountants :p.

But yes, I'll go down today and grab me one (or order online, at least) and see where we are.

Thanks again,

-Aidan.

Oh nice a fellow number cruncher lol :) well not that much of one but I get your point. Right now it is my rather low end amd system with a slow 8250e tri core, its much slower than your q6600 so you should hold up just fine. 2.8ghz would be a good start but when overclocking especially on a stock cooler is to start slow and in small steps due to temps but hopefully that you have kept the machine clean enough that it wouldn't be a problem. On stock volts 2.8ghz should be easy and when the ram isn't cooperating then sych it with the fsb clock to bring it down enough to remain stable. Most have it a 1:2 ratio or a 4:5 ratio to have the ram at higher clocks than the system fsb. 1:1 gives you the most stable when doing overclocking and if you are shooting for the moon hopefully there should be options for lower ratios. I got my crappy e7200 to 3.6ghz that way.

stock cooler on stock cpu voltage should get to 2.7ghz no problems, some people get to just under 3ghz before needing to increase voltage. Stock cpu cooler should be ok for 2.7ghz and no voltage increase. I have the dual core variant of what you have, core2 duo e6600, and on the stock cooler its currently at 3ghz with some volt increase.

AidanKay

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010

Ah thanks, haven't overclocked in a while so that helps. Though, I do recall getting the Q6600 up to 3.8GHz on my standard cooler and slight increase to voltage, however I didn't run any stress tests to see how well it faired. I just left it @ 2.6GHz for a while after.

Would be awesome to see your test results if you get around to doing them. :).

Yeah as I asaid above, I've had it running at 2.8 with stock cooler and only very slight voltage increase. I'm not looking to get too much higher then that as the increase in performance + risk factor , is negligable (I believe). I don't want my comp dieing as I want to keep it as a second comp. Plus it has been gathering dust for quite a few months so heating may be an issue.

Cheers,

-Aidan.