End Game fight

The game I'm playing in is about to end (1 process left).

After we have done this, we were wanting to move all ships and fighters
within the galaxy to one central point, just to see who would win the
resulting fight.

Is there any way to do this?
13 answers Last reply
More about game fight

    Not directly in VGAP4.

    However, I have been working with the CSV files for a while now and
    have created a program that will convert the CSV file data into host
    scripts. You can use this host script in a tool like Diplomat to get a
    combat from it. There is a lot missing from the CSV files, so a
    completely accurate simulation isn't possible. Things that are missing
    are: pods, wings, minefields, native happiness, weapons on non-owned
    ships, crew on ships, tech levels, exotic techs, central bank, spy
    attack settings, and anything that was scanned poorly. I may ask
    Klingon Kommand to post a version of this on his site so that others
    may take advantage of it.

    Later, this can be improved when Tim designs and releases his DLL to
    allow modification of the war files.

    Magik

    Will this allow the importing of everyone's CSV file into a single
    fight?

    Also, isn't there a ship limit in diplomat?

    Isn't battle still limited to two players?

    Mantzikert wrote:
    > Will this allow the importing of everyone's CSV file into a single
    > fight?
    >
    > Also, isn't there a ship limit in diplomat?

    Yes, it will. The tool will merge the data that you have together,
    using the data that is most accurate to override poor data.

    When I mentioned using Diplomat, I meant to pull down View | View /
    Edit Script File then past the one that my tool creates into it. It
    doesn't matter what configuration you have made from the GUI of
    Diplomat, the script will take priority. If you want to include wings,
    then you will have to put those into the script yourself.

    Magik

    4 players in Diplomat, but see my last message that the Diplomat limit
    doesn't matter.

    Magik

    I just sent the utility to Klingon Kommand to post. If you would like
    a copy sooner, then please e-mail me through Drewheads. Here is a copy
    of the documentation that I just typed up.

    The VGAP4 Assistant utility is a simple console application that when
    run will perform a series of tasks against exported CSV files from VGA
    Planets 4. Below is a list of those tasks:
    · Create more legible CSV files in a separate folder that will be
    kept for historical data.
    · Combine other player data into the CSV files when available. This
    is good for allies to share data outside of the game.
    · Offer suggestions for building structures, refueling ships, etc.
    (This is not offered to the public yet.)
    · Create a host script file from the data. This can be useful to
    create a local test game for games that are hosted elsewhere to "see
    what happens when...". This host script can be used in VGA Planets 4
    Master (new game universe creation utility) or Diplomat to simulate
    games. You can also open them for editing/viewing in ScriptZor.
    · Compare previous turn(s) data and offer comments. (Not implemented
    yet.)

    Installation
    To install this program, copy the VGAP4Assistant.EXE file into your
    VGA Planets 4 installation folder.

    Execution
    To start the utility, double click on VGAP4Assistant.EXE from the
    installation folder. An MS-DOS console will open and close. The
    process is then complete. You should have first prepared the CSV files
    (see below). Here is what was done:
    · The CSV data was read into RAM.
    · A new folder named VGAP4Assistant was created in your installation
    folder if it didn't already exist.
    · A subfolder under the VGAP4Assistant folder was created with a name
    that is made up of your game's name and game ID if it didn't
    already exist.
    · An optional playerX.cfg configuration file (see below) is read.
    · The VGAP4Assistant game folder is scanned for other player data
    generated by VGAP4Assistant and combined into existing data in RAM,
    using more accurate data where applicable.
    · Parse through the data and offer suggestions for bases, ships and
    planets. (This is not offered to the public yet.)
    · Write out VGAP4Assistant data to its folder.
    · Compare previous turn(s) data. (Not implemented yet.)
    · Provide turn data analysis using historical data. (Not implemented
    yet.)
    · Create a host script file, placing it in the VGA Planets 4
    installation folder's scripts directory.

    How To Get The CSV Files
    To export CSV files, simply open the VGA Planets 4 client
    (PLANETS.EXE), select your slot, player and press Play Saved File as
    normal. Once you have the game in view, press the OPT button on the
    toolbar then press the Make CSV File button. The CSV files and a
    descriptive text file are immediately written to your installation
    folder. The files are: CSVInfo.txt, Planet.csv, Ship.csv, Base1.csv,
    Base2.csv, Base3.csv, Base4.csv, and Base.csv. The Base.csv file is
    broken up into 4 parts (due to the large amount of data) for you so
    that it they can open in a spreadsheet program. The VGAP4Assistant
    utility will not use the extra 4 Base files, but will use all of the
    others.

    (Optional) Player Configuration File
    You have the option of creating a configuration file to provide
    VGAP4Assistant with data that is not available in the CSV files. That
    data is:
    · The number of players in the game and which races they are.
    · Which players are your allies?
    · What is your tax setting at?
    · Which bases would you designate as shipyards?
    · Which bases would you designate as front-line resupply points?
    · Which bases would you designate as training bases?

    To provide this data, create a text file named playerX.cfg where X is
    your player number in the game. Put this file in the directory created
    by VGAP4Assistant for your game. For example, I would create a text
    file named player1.cfg and put it in VGAP4Assistant\Greener
    Recruits_ID48430097 for my Greener Recruits game on Drewhead's since
    I am player 1 in that game. The contents of that file need to be
    formatted as shown below. This example shows a 15 player game with
    various examples.
    It is recommended that at a minimum, the [players] area be provided.
    The rest of the data is for the "offer suggestions" portion of the
    code that isn't released yet.

    #
    # This file is manually generated by the VGAP4Assistant user. Use the
    # instructions for each heading to provide information to the utility.
    #

    # Instructions: For players, list the race pack number for each player
    in
    # order so that the first race pack number is player 1, the next player
    2, etc.
    #
    racial
    # special abilities of enemies and allow a host script to be generated
    # properly.
    [players]
    109
    802
    104
    102
    803
    803
    109
    111
    808
    110
    810
    110
    108
    808
    107

    # Instructions: For allies, list the player numbers of those you are
    allied
    # with.
    #
    these
    # players' ships and bases.

    [allies]
    7
    8
    14
    15

    # Instructions: For tax rate, place the tax code according to the chart
    below.
    #
    # Chart:
    # Ultra Conservative 1
    # Conservative 2
    # Liberal 3
    # Complex 4
    # Enslavement 5
    #
    income
    # you are generated at your bases.
    [tax rate]
    1

    # Instructions: For shipyards, list the base ID numbers.
    #
    metals
    # to shipyards.
    [shipyards]
    501
    507
    514
    646
    699

    # Instructions: For front line bases, list the base ID numbers.
    #
    # repair, fuel, and ordnance to send it to the front line bases.
    [front line bases]
    1512
    1637

    # Instructions: For training bases, list the base ID numbers.
    #
    troops,
    # high guard and food/contraband sent to provide a proper training
    facility.
    [training bases]
    1665

    Is a program doable that takes all the ships from CSV files, loads
    them with max Crew and 1 HG, and places them on the same x,y. (maybe
    allow to set alliances)?

    Would be a carnage. =)

    - Skies

    Well, Klingon Kommand is right on top of things! It is posted at

    Suggestions for improvements are welcome.

    Magik

    Beware... if you do this you will have a really really big .rst.

    "Mantzikert" <csmckinnon@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > The game I'm playing in is about to end (1 process left).
    >
    > After we have done this, we were wanting to move all ships and fighters
    > within the galaxy to one central point, just to see who would win the
    > resulting fight.
    >
    > Is there any way to do this?

  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    I've updated the VGAP4Assistant utility to make a BigBang script that
    includes ships only, so it is a lot smaller and the ships are all in
    one place. I also added wings that I had the utility form from any
    fighters left on bases and put HG on them if there was some available.
    Since either MASTER.EXE or Planets in general has a 10000 limit on each
    fighter type, if you have more than 10000 on your bases, then multiple
    wings will be formed.

    The only known issue right now is that the CSV files don't have the
    amount of crew on ships, so I have them all set to 1. This will affect
    combat. My program is in C/C++ so I can't access the v4data.dll
    directly. I'll have to create a wrapper so that I can continue to
    program in C/C++. If anyone has created a command line utility to
    access the v4data.dll and return ship data on the console, then please
    let me know or else I'll have to try my hand at VB. Once I get that in
    place then I'll set the crew size to max.

    Magik
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Oh, another issue is that the host script doesn't allow you to
    configure alliances, so it is a true last man standing.

    Magik
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    Sweet program..

    I am in the process of developing a program that saves the CSV
    information in MS Access. I know I could have chosen a better DB but
    it also allows for a front end.

    The MS Access information does more than just have the CSV informaiton.
    It summarizes each empire so I know how many coloinists, $$,
    contraband, ship types each of them have. I can locate which base has
    the most $$, contra, etc. It graphs the Contraband market.

    There are two parts 1) front User Interface 2) backend DB.

    Since this is in a database, anything can be done to manipulate the
    information.

    Things to come.
    * Adding bar chart for Race contrandand likes
    * Screen showing new found ships, bases
    * Planet information
    * If you keep track of enemy ships and there weapons, this could hold
    the information.

    Is this useful? Could we integrate any of the programs?

    Porthos
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.vgaplanets4 (More info?)

    I'd say that would be useful. I like the part about tracking enemy
    ship weapons. I don't see a way to integrate our two programs unless I
    could put together the csv files together for you in a way that you
    need. As it is, I add columns on the base csv to split out the
    structures that appear in the base.csv as a bitfield so that they are
    more legible.

    Magik

Games Video Games