Sign in with
Your question

Powerful GPU to Reduce Video Render Time?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 16, 2010 7:44:31 PM

I’m looking to reduce rendering time of AVCHD recorded video for DVD output. I notice (mostly in ads) about GPU acceleration for video editing and rendering. If GPU boost for video editing /rendering is significant maybe a more powerful video card would help me.
My existing system is an AMD, and although I have 2 GPUs the total GPU power isn’t spectacular by any means. Specifically:

GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H w/ HD4250 ATI Hybrid Graphics on-board
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4 GHz quad-core
Thermaltake - Spin-Q Universal CPU Cooler
ATI Radeon HD 5550 1GB DDR3 PCI Express video card
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 1600
Two Crucial SATA III 64 Gig SSDs (1st loaded with Win 7 OS & Office; 2nd loaded with Video Apps)
Two Seagate 1T w/ 32 Meg cache setup for Raid 0 (Storing all the original AVCHD files, and the edited files)
LG Super-multi DVD w/ Blu-ray read
LG Super-multi DVD
USB driven front panel multi card reader (including SDHC)
Two 22” Acer monitors (one off the on-board HD4250, and one off the Radeon 5550 card)
Antec 900 case w/ Antec TP-55 PS

I’ve been using first one then another of the following software packages (still not very good with any of them): EDIUS NEO2 BOOSTER (Ver. 2.5); Pinnacle Studio Ultimate version 11; and Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 10.

I record all of the soccer games for my kids High School coaches, so I spend a lot of time waiting for the games to render. Any one of these packages seem to take a long time, and I’d like to reduce the time if practical. Do any of my three software packages use the GPU(s) for boosting the edit/render process? If so, would upping the power of my video card help very much? Or would I be better off putting money in more memory and maybe even swapping CPUs to a new X6 1100T Thuban?

Another thought - are there newer software packages out there for reasonable money that would take better advantage of multi-core CPUs and powerful video cards than what I have?
December 17, 2010 12:06:14 AM

You could try Elemental Badaboom (i think Handbrake too) with a CUDA-enabled VGA (maybe something like GTX460)
!