Physx card and cheap card with sound w/o spdif advise

thecountrygoth

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
I've got a bit of a problem as my tri sli board can't fit a big card on the bottom, such as mu spare 9800GT to aid my two 460's. I need advise on a cheap physx card that can do the job and where to get it the cheapest (I'm looking at a sparkle 9500GT on newegg right now as 32 stream processors games very well on my laptop playing farcry2 in medium setting in 720p), I did some reading that the 8500GT could do it, but is no longer supported, so I can't use the one I have In my mothers entertainment setup. The second part is my mother needs sound via HDMI and the 8500 can't do that, and the old abit board doesn't have a spdif plug so I've gotta get an ati card or if there is $35 nvidia card that does sound w/o spdif that I am unaware of I need to locate it and buy it before xmas. She just runs netflix and web browsers on her 52 inch tv, I occasionally goof around in halo2 or some low res farcry 2 when I come over.

thecountrygoth

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010

I've been looking at the 220 and just realized that the 1gb model is the same price as the 1gb 9500 though I'm not sure if the extra memory will make a difference over a cheaper 512 model. Seems like some of the different set ups I've read about the cards they used for physx only seemed to make performance vary between similar set ups if the physx card had more memory than the other. Say like one I recall was a GTX260 and the other was a GTX280, 896mb vs 1gb, and the two cards aren't very far apart in actual game performance and even that is due partially to once having just a little memory than the other, same thing as the my 768mb 460's and their 1gb counterpart, and the GTX480 and the GTX570. can't imagine physx being that taxing that a video card that can play any game on the planet in medium to high settings to be necessary, maybe a crap ton of memory.