Are these temps normal with speedfan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gundown64

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
I'm no expert when it comes to temperature and all that jazz. I got a new graphics card (XFX Radeon 6770) for my pc and it was a lot louder than my old one, which it to be understood, but I wanted to try and safely get it quieter. Basically, I download SpeedFan and then some custom setting and so far it seems to be doing great. It is MUCH quieter and the temps seem to be ok, but I want someone to check them for me. Btw, these are the temps at idle to around 10%. I don't really play any games so I doubt i'll ever reach full load. Thanks in advance!

Note: One thing I noticed is that about every 1-2 minutes the fans are having to increase there RPMs in order to get back to the desired temp. What settings can I change in order to make that happen less?

Specs:
Corsair 430W
ASUS M4A78LT-M
8gb RAM
XFX Radeon 6770
Dual 21.5" monitors at 1080p

Solution
The only thing that looks a bit toasty is the one Labeled as Bridge Chip?

You board does not even seem to have any bridge chips(unless you mean North Bridge.

What cpu are you running? I had a 5770 in my media center and it was very quiet(at idle and very loud when gaming), but there is a catch, my first one was loud due to a defective fan/blower.

I do not think speedfan will control the video card(at least it did not when i used it last.).

Are you sure it is just the video card getting louder?

To avoid the fans having to ramp, run them just a bit faster.

You can also set a range so lets say 25-40%(Under Speeds) and the fans will never pass 40 unless you hit the Warning temperature set (Under temperatures).

It is important to note...
The only thing that looks a bit toasty is the one Labeled as Bridge Chip?

You board does not even seem to have any bridge chips(unless you mean North Bridge.

What cpu are you running? I had a 5770 in my media center and it was very quiet(at idle and very loud when gaming), but there is a catch, my first one was loud due to a defective fan/blower.

I do not think speedfan will control the video card(at least it did not when i used it last.).

Are you sure it is just the video card getting louder?

To avoid the fans having to ramp, run them just a bit faster.

You can also set a range so lets say 25-40%(Under Speeds) and the fans will never pass 40 unless you hit the Warning temperature set (Under temperatures).

It is important to note that the 6770 will accelerate Video and Webpages(with a supported browser). If its temperature gets too hot, it will increase fan speed on its own, but it should be subtle(very small bit at a time, not a full out roar).

Solution

Gundown64

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011

Yea, I was wondering about the Bridge Chip as well. I'm not sure what it is as whoever made the custom setting named it. My CPU is a AMD Phenom II X6 1075T 3.0ghz.

I just figured it was the GPU getting louder as it was near silent before.

EDIT- My current speed settings are at 25%min 100% max. What should I change to stop the fans from kicking in so often.

Lower the max to a point that it does not bug you(on my old system it was max 65 min 65 so it never moved unless the cpu past the warning temperature. It will be different with your heatsink). Just ensure the warning temperature is set below the max temperature you want the cpu to ever get to. This way, if you ever get to that point, the fan will auto goto 100% and prevent overheating

If you have fan control options in the bios(Its called Q-fan for asus), enable them(and see if it works for you.).

The stock cooler for that cpu heatsink can push past 5000rpms at full speed and also has it's own temperature sensor.

So if the case gets warm, that thing(cpu fan) goes faster. This makes speed control interesting on your system since the fan has a bit of a mind of its own.

Gundown64

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
So those Speed percentages are the max and min speeds the fans will go I guess at idle (when usage would be lowest) and at full load? Also, does that "bridge chip" temp look ok then? 85C looked pretty hot to me as well.

I haven't messed with the BIOS so I would assume that the fan control options would already be enabled by default? I'll double check though.

With speed control on in the bios, most times speedfan will not take control(without a trip to the advanced menu).

Touch the heatsink above your video card, does it burn you? could be the chipset I know the AMD 770 chipset(that does not even have video on it) runs very hot, but it is made to take it.

We can not run out the no sensor/mis-detection. This is very common of software that works with a wide variety of hardware. After all, my "cputin" is showing 124c all the time. Its not that way, just how the software misreads it.

Do not forget to remove speeds from things you do NOT want to control the fans. And only assign the fans you want to each item. For instance you clearly want the cpu fan and case fan to react to cpu temperature.

Does your 6770 vent its heat out the back or into the case?

EDIT...

And about min/max fan speeds. Those are what you want to use to maintain a temperature, but if you tell it 25-100 it will use all the way up to 100 to get the temperature down, but it many only need to push to 40-50(it does not know any better and will go for 100%).

Get second opinion : )

Use CPUID HWMonitor @ http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

softwares-hwmonitor.jpg

Gundown64

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Speedfan seems to be taking control, at least to some extent. When I started the program, I could hear the fan speeds change and it got much quieter.

My video card has a fan, no heat sink I don't guess. Is that what you mean?

EDIT - GPU fan dumps into case.

EDIT 2 - CPUID is giving same temps.

Have you checked the bios for qfan profiles? they normally have one called silent it is very quiet.

So your video card has a fan in the center of it?

It may be worth starting the system, then slowing(not stopping) the cpu fan with your finger(in the center to avoid it hurting you) see if this makes the system quieter.

This is just a way to see what is making all the noise.

If that does not quiet down the system. Use ATI's CCC to slow down the video card fan, if that makes the system as quiet as you want, you should be able to use something like MSI afterburner mentioned above to adjust the speeds at different temperatures so the card will be quieter, but kick the fan up if you need it.

I know how you feel about quiet. I swap power power supply fans, re-drill heatsink brackets(so they fit over a bit) and file fans thinner to make them fit all in the name of quieter.

Gundown64

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
I checked the bios. q-fan was enabled and I left it that way. There were no "profiles" or anything called silent.

Yes the video card has a fa in the center.

This is really random I know, but while I was typing my last response, I remembered I had some fans on a old PC that wasn't being used, so I took two 120mm? fans and added an extra intake on top and an extra exhaust on the side. So now I have an intake on the front, top and side (top) and an exhaust out back and on the side (bottom). So I just ditched Speedfan all together and left the qfan on and so far it seems fine. Besides, I feel much more comfortable letting the mobo/bios handle the temps instead of a program which I could easily mess up. Again, I know this is weird, but I guess the extra airflow is helping because it is much quieter than before. Temps seem to be stable as well, CPU - 44C, Mobo - 38C, GPU - 48C, HD - 30C, "bridge chip" - 85C,

Long post, but how does this sound to you?

You may with to change the fan setup a bit.

The top fans should push air out of the case not pull it in. Heat rises so work with it.

The side fan(I assume on the door/side panel) in most cases should pull air into the case. This will also push cool air onto the cpu area lowering the temperature and reducing fan speeds.

If that 85 temperature does not move, then it is most likely a false reading.

All other temperatures look fine.

Gundown64

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
That is true, I will definitely look back into my fan set up. I guess I figured at the rate the air is moving in the case the whole "heat rises" thing wouldn't play as big of a role.

So I guess I am good. The fans have been at a constant speed and temps are holding steady as well. I'm not sure what I did (other than add the fans) but nukemaster, I thank you greatly. You have been an excellent help!

I used to be very big into speedfan, but when boards started to control speed better and quieter, I almost stopped using it(still have some boards with it). Speedfan requires very close upper/lower limits to avoid noticeable a ramping effect.

Now if Asus would allow me to go under 60% on my Maximus Gene-Z...

Status
Not open for further replies.