Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Help! I installed an HD 4650 and sound stopped working!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 16, 2010 8:48:53 PM

Hi guys,

I just installed a Radeon HD 4650 in my mom's PC and she just called me saying her sound wasn't working now.

I know we uninstalled Nvidia graphics drivers. There were 2 Nvidia programs in the install/uninstall programs menu from the control panel, but after we uninstalled the first Nvidia graphics drivers there were no more Nvidia programs. We also uninstalled some sort of Windows graphics drivers too. I believe these were the only 2 (maybe 3...not sure what the other Nvidia program was that I saw before uninstalling the 1st one) programs we uninstalled.

She used to have a 8500 GT. She was told that card didn't work now and the PC shop switched her to her mobo's integrated graphics. I then installed the HD 4650.

What could make her sound suddenly stop working, and how can I fix it for her?
a b U Graphics card
December 16, 2010 10:00:13 PM

Maybe the PC shop disabled the onboard sound by accident?

Check the bios and see if it's enabled, also disable the onboard graphics after that. Can't help you much more than that as every motherboard is different.

Or maybe you deleted the sound drivers accidentally, check that too.
December 16, 2010 11:03:07 PM

I think the sound was working before we installed the new card, so I don't think the shop disabled the onboard sound. There was no card in it just before I put the new one in.

How would I go about finding the sound drivers for the onboard sound?
Related resources
December 16, 2010 11:56:44 PM

double check you sound configuration.. AFAIK, discreet HDxxxx cards can output audio over HDMI (provided the card in question has hdmi), so the system might be running the sound output through that

Best solution

a c 155 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
a c 77 Î Nvidia
December 17, 2010 12:55:05 AM

It's very simple actually because it happened to me. Go into the device manager and re-install the drivers for your RealTek Audio (or whatever your onboard sound is). ATi's rear HD Audio Output drivers sometimes disable the normal on-board drivers. All you have to do is right click on the sound device, select "update drivers" and have it search automatically. It will find them because you already have the drivers there, they're just disabled. Then you'll get your sound back. I had the same problem when I installed each of my HD 4870's and the HD 3450 in my HTPC. :sol: 
December 17, 2010 1:42:58 AM

Well, thank you for that answer Avro....seriously, that would have been the perfect fix I'm sure.

Unfortunately my mom decided she would try to use her recovery disk that she made and reformat her PC. It turns out that something is wrong in that it is not working correctly.

/sigh

Does anyone know where to get a bootable copy of Windows Vista? She wants Vista for a couple of her sewing programs she says only work on Vista. I guess the PC shop charged her $120 to fix her PC before (when her graphics card went bad before), and charge an additional $60 for a recovery CD.
December 17, 2010 1:43:10 AM

Best answer selected by TopGun.
December 17, 2010 2:56:29 AM

What does OEM mean?
December 17, 2010 2:06:23 PM

Avro Arrow said:
It's very simple actually because it happened to me. Go into the device manager and re-install the drivers for your RealTek Audio (or whatever your onboard sound is). ATi's rear HD Audio Output drivers sometimes disable the normal on-board drivers. All you have to do is right click on the sound device, select "update drivers" and have it search automatically. It will find them because you already have the drivers there, they're just disabled. Then you'll get your sound back. I had the same problem when I installed each of my HD 4870's and the HD 3450 in my HTPC. :sol: 

OK, she somehow got her recovery CD to work.

I sent her what you said to do about the realtek sound and she said she tried it but it still didn't work. I'm going over there later today to try playing around with some stuff.

She said her sound still wasn't working after she did a clean install. Is there anything else it could be?
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
a c 168 Î Nvidia
December 17, 2010 6:43:14 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!