Powercolor 5770 eyefinity 5

kof2000

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
i bought this card hoping to connect four monitors and a tv. bought 4 minidisplayport > displayport cable and 1 minidisplayport to hdmi for the tv.

now every so often the four monitors will go on and off like it wants to change resolution or order or it could be the ati driver not responding.

do i need active adapter if i am using these type of cables? i dont recall having this problem with another card just pluggin them all on dvi.

timmy121

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010

3 DVI or more requires an active DP to DVI adapter.

2 DVI + 1 VGA or 2 vga will work on a passive DP-VGA adapter cause the DP to VGA is already active.

Passive will work for TMDS + RAMDAC solutions, but for any combo of just three of one of those types, THEN requires an active adapter.

(TMDS) is a technology for transmitting high-speed serial data and is used by the DVI and HDMI video interfaces, as well as other digital communication interfaces, and can power up to 2 screens using TMDS anymore than 2 you need a active adapter to power the cable correctly for eyefinity.

(RAMDAC) is a combination of three fast DACs with a small SRAM used in computer graphics display adapters to store the colour palette and to generate the analog signals aka VGA (usually a voltage amplitude) to drive a colour monitor. The logical colour number from the display memory is fed into the address inputs of the SRAM to select a palette entry to appear on the data output of the SRAM. And can power up to 2 screens using RAMDAC anymore than 2 you need a active adapter to power the cable correctly for eyefinity.