Sign in with
Your question

Inconsistent connectivity

Last response: in Wireless Networking
October 4, 2010 4:57:01 AM

So, I finally put the finishing touches on my home built computer: the wireless adapter. Unfortunately, it seems to have a really hard time picking up my house's internet. The router is in the basement, and the computer started upstairs, where it got no connection at all. I then moved it into the basement, where it got great service and worked extremely well... for about five hours. After that, every time I tried to connect, it said that an error occurred when connecting. I'm using a D-Link DWA-552 XtremeN desktop adapter, and am hooking up to a some sort of Qwest internet router. I don't know what speed it is, due to the fact that it's my parents'. What do i do? Do I need a new router? All the drivers on the adapter are up to date. Please help, I need my TF2 fix soon!
Anonymous
October 4, 2010 8:22:05 AM

Basement is the worst place to put the router. Think about it, surrounded by soil on three sides, metal pipes etc ?

If possible relocate centrally to all users. Also see if any of the tips below help temporarily:

You should try to optimise your reception and avoid interference.

1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.

m
l
October 4, 2010 9:39:24 PM

Yeah, but I'm currently like 3 yards away from it, with only one wall between us. Why would the computer say that I have 5 bars one hour, then poop out on me the next? My mom suggests that I buy a wireless range booster, but I have my doubts. I think the problem's with the network adapter, not the router.
m
l
!