Sign in with
Your question

$600-800 Budget Gaming System

Last response: in Systems
February 17, 2011 7:51:30 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: somewhere in March.

Budget Range: 500-700 only the PC without SSD

System Usage from Most to Least Important: home common usage, MS office, and not heavy gaming.. planning to play some NFS underground, SC2, wow, and etc... a gamer but not an enthusiast...

Parts Not Required: monitor, keyboard, mouse, OS, SSD

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: anything cheap and reliable!
Country of Origin: USA - CA
Parts Preferences: I prefer Intel than AMD, looking for the new Sandy Bridge chipset.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Yes / Maybe - Going to SLI/Crossfire as an upgrade path.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, 1920x1200 - going to buy a new LCD later

Additional Comments: I would like to have a quiet PC, cool, reliable, i don't want overclocking if it's going to reduce my PC lifetime.. I dont really need it too actually, normal turbo boost from intel is enough.

I want to know which CPU and MB are the best for my preference in both price and performance.

For GPU i'm looking at NVIDIA GTX 460.. any other recommendation? I think that's enough for me. Going to SLI that later.
Going to buy SSD because it's important! I can find a deal for SSD myself, so subtract around 100-200$ from total budget.
Memory might be going for triple channel 2Gb or 4Gb, depends on the total budget spent on MB/CPU. But currently I'm using 4Gb and it's enough.
I know there are good deals on i7-930 i believe in microcenter sometime last year, is there any good deal on the new sandybridge in microcenter?
Also, is the sandybridge recall problem on the end of January solved yet?

the K on intel CPU means the multiplier is unlocked for easier OC, nothing is just regular, and S means its undervolted? is it worth the money to go for the K to OC later?

Thanks before!
=)
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
February 17, 2011 8:05:46 PM

sayurann said:
I can find a deal for SSD myself, so subtract around 100-200$ from total budget.
Memory might be going for triple channel 2Gb or 4Gb, depends on the total budget spent on MB/CPU.
What is the actual budget for the build? 800 with SSD? 600 without SSD?
For a Sandy Bridge build you'll be choosing dual channel memory kits.
The K model for overclocking is the preferred option and its about $20 more.
February 17, 2011 8:34:04 PM

WR2 said:
What is the actual budget for the build? 800 with SSD? 600 without SSD?
For a Sandy Bridge build you'll be choosing dual channel memory kits.
The K model for overclocking is the preferred option and its about $20 more.

ok, i will clarify that, so, 500-700 without the SSD.. so sandy bridge support double channel instead of triple? good to know...
Related resources
February 18, 2011 8:18:20 PM

I read through and give more thoughts about this...
I will say I am considering to get i5-2500K right now for 200$ in microcenter, but I just realized that none of the LGA1155 motherboard is good now? all of them are being recalled and early April is the date when you can buy them again?

In conclusion, is now not a good time to built a sandy bridge pc?

a c 90 B Homebuilt system
February 18, 2011 9:40:21 PM

Here is a comparison of the i5-760 and i5-2500K
You can also use that tool to compare it will the other competition like in X4 965BE and X6 1090/1100BE.
You can decided for yourself if they're worth waiting for or going ahead with another option.
February 19, 2011 2:21:18 AM

A $800 pc becomes a $1500 pc in INDIA , every thing cost 2x !!
Even a 'lowly' 5770 costs above $200 here ;) 
February 19, 2011 2:22:35 AM

Low income + twice price = WTF ... lol
February 19, 2011 8:48:51 AM

for a 30$ price difference from microcenter, I would say the CPU is worth the upgrade. However, the lack of the MB for the LGA1155 is the one that im confused with right now..

ya, electronics cost a lot more in Asia. Even though they made the parts in China, the computer price in China is almost two times USA's.
!