tiny notebook battery problem?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
March 25, 2005 12:19:01 AM

Hi and thanks for reading this.
I brought my son a tiny E2400 notebook in november 2004, A few weeks ago the
battery/notebook was playing up saying that it was then not charging,
sitting at 63% charged, and now the thing wont run on battery at all, I went
to the shop where brought from today but was told "as you did not take out
the gold plus warranty for 79 quid plus 4.99 a month, you will have to call
the premium rate helpline at £1 a min"
thanks tiny/ the computer shop,
I called the customer services and was told that as i have unit for more
than 30 days I have to do the same.

So.... does anyone have any ideas to what is the main cause of the problem?
battery or notebook charging circuit?

thanks in advance and i can say that this is the last tiny pc i buy.
Bob
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 25, 2005 12:19:02 AM

"Bob G0KYF" <bobstevensonREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:
>thanks in advance and i can say that this is the last tiny pc i buy.

Never heard of "tiny" PCs, but if you only got a 30-day warranty I
hope you got a _really_ good price!

Can you buy another battery and return it within some short time
period if you don't like it (ie: it doesn't fix your problem)?
March 25, 2005 10:31:04 PM

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 21:19:01 -0000, "Bob G0KYF"
<bobstevensonREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi and thanks for reading this.
>I brought my son a tiny E2400 notebook in november 2004, A few weeks ago the
>battery/notebook was playing up saying that it was then not charging,
>sitting at 63% charged, and now the thing wont run on battery at all, I went
>to the shop where brought from today but was told "as you did not take out
>the gold plus warranty for 79 quid plus 4.99 a month, you will have to call
>the premium rate helpline at £1 a min"
>thanks tiny/ the computer shop,
>I called the customer services and was told that as i have unit for more
>than 30 days I have to do the same.
>
>So.... does anyone have any ideas to what is the main cause of the problem?
>battery or notebook charging circuit?
>
>thanks in advance and i can say that this is the last tiny pc i buy.
>Bob

Usually it is the battery.

To help confirm this, check the voltage output where the
battery connects to the notebook. It should be higher than
the battery voltage. Note - be careful not to short anything
out.

Steve
a b D Laptop
March 31, 2005 1:37:52 AM

Yeah, install the battery, take it back and rip off the next guy that gets
the charged and shelved unit.

We have another great idiot here again giving LioN a bad name to the
unsuspecting consumer.
Pretty selfish Willy... pretty selfish.

<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
> "Bob G0KYF" <bobstevensonREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >thanks in advance and i can say that this is the last tiny pc i buy.
>
> Never heard of "tiny" PCs, but if you only got a 30-day warranty I
> hope you got a _really_ good price!
>
> Can you buy another battery and return it within some short time
> period if you don't like it (ie: it doesn't fix your problem)?

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 1, 2005 7:42:17 PM

"Bob G0KYF" <bobstevensonREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<42432ec1$0$10947$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com>...
> Hi and thanks for reading this.
> I brought my son a tiny E2400 notebook in november 2004, A few weeks ago the
> battery/notebook was playing up saying that it was then not charging,
> sitting at 63% charged, and now the thing wont run on battery at all, I went
> to the shop where brought from today but was told "as you did not take out
> the gold plus warranty for 79 quid plus 4.99 a month, you will have to call
> the premium rate helpline at £1 a min"
> thanks tiny/ the computer shop,
> I called the customer services and was told that as i have unit for more
> than 30 days I have to do the same.
>
> So.... does anyone have any ideas to what is the main cause of the problem?
> battery or notebook charging circuit?
>
> thanks in advance and i can say that this is the last tiny pc i buy.
> Bob
Why not just call them and see what they say? There is a 6-month
warranty on the battery (same as they get from the manufacturer) and
12-months on the notebook. Either could be faulty. Ring them and see
what they say. You may get a new battery. I you leave it much longer
you wont. Dont just moan - try actually doing what they suggest
Demdike
!