bulldozerprob

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Hello,

I just put together my new System using an Asus 990FX and the "small bulldozer" FX-8210.

If I power on the System I get the red CPU LED and nothing happens. Screen stays black. Does this mean I got a faulty CPU/Mainboard?

Im currently looking for the speaker in all the boxes to see if there's some beep error code.

Thanks

The Sabertooth apparently needed a BIOS update to support Bulldozer. I believe you'll need another CPU in order to flash your board.
(I flashed mine, even though I have no plans to replace my 970BE with Bulldozer)

bulldozerprob

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
sorry i cant edit my first post. I may have found the solution. on the asus website it says FX 8120 is supported since bios 0813 so i might have a motherboard with older bios that does not support the cpu it advertises to support?

fawk... and i cant even check if thats the problem cause i cant boot into bios.

solution: find a supported cpu, put in
install windows
update bios
rip cpu out
install new cpu
pray.

any input? im pissed.

bulldozerprob

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
hey jtt283 thanks :( oh man, thats not how i planned my free weekend, looking for an old cpu i got a like 3 years old athlon 3000+ maybe it works with that one, still cant edit my posts, sorry.

zloginet

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
Please be a bit more specific on your particular board. However, there could be so many reasons at this point. Always check the easiest possible issue first. Does the CPU have bent pins? Is the CPU seated correctly? Is the thermal/HSF applied correctly?

I am unsure how much PC knowledge you have but work your way back would be the first option.

Buuuutttt, there is another could be issue. This very well could relate to the board needing a BIOS update. Depending on what Asus 990FX board you have you may be able to update the bios without the cpu if I recal. Please don't hold that to me. However, hence you just purchased this I believe your board should have a new enough bios version that this might not be the issue.

Please build your system with the least amount of requried items then try booting again. This includes, only 1 stick of ram, onboard video if you have etc.....

Goodluck

bulldozerprob

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

more specific about my particular board you need it with the complete name? ok, Asus 990FX Sabertooth. and i dont know how you'd fit a cpu with pinned bents but thanks for your efforts anyways

bulldozerprob

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Ok a friend of mine came over with his phenom, we checked the bios that is printed on the 990FX and it was indeed the old one. We are now flashing my bios. thank you so much for your input and sorry if i sounded a bit harsh i worked all winter for this pc to afford it cause im a pupil and i was about to go bezerk on it but now it seems like we found the problem and i can move on. sorry again and thanks for the help

Well then, all's well that ends well.
BTW, you'll want to do your overclocking manually. My Sabertooth overclocked my 970BE only by raising the various frequencies, but did not touch the [unlocked!] multiplier at all. It got it to 3.8GHz, but it was idling at over 50c. I didn't care for that one bit, so I overclocked it manually. I have it at the same mild 3.8GHz, but it is only at 27C right now; both under the same 120mm Xigmatek Gaia cooler.