Solved

New system for rift plz rate

OK first let me thank all who take the time to post here as your advice and comments will be greatly apreciated.


I will be using this machine to play Rift mainly and the odd shooter here and there. This is not my first build but it has been some time since the last one and i am an avid AMD/ATI fan so No use suggesting the nvidia/sandy bridge route :)

MSI 890FXA-GD65 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813130565
Standard Return Policy $149.99

. 1 COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS700-PCAAE3-US 700W ATX 12V v2.3 Active PFC Power Supply
Item #: N82E16817171054
Standard Return Policy $84.99

. 2 CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9
Item #: N82E16820233144
Memory Standard Return Policy $104.99

. 1 AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition Deneb 3.5GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDZ970FBGMBOX
Item #: N82E16819103894
CPU Replacement Only Return Policy $179.99

. 2 Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822136795
Standard Return Policy $59.99

. 1 CORSAIR Hydro H70 CWCH70 120mm High Performance CPU Cooler
Item #: N82E16835181013
Standard Return Policy $109.99

. 1 MSI R6950-2PM2D2GD5 Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
Item #: N82E16814127555
VGA Standard Return Policy $299.99

. 1 Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
Item #: N82E16832116758
Software Standard Return Policy


I Have used MSI products for many years now with never a disappointment. The corsair ram is my first time using the product but the reviews i have read claim that OC'ing it to 2000 was easy and stable with a little timing adjust.


Thanks again all and Lemme know what you think. (Btw this build was a budget build and i brought it in under 1200$ us or i would have gone with the ssd's)
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about system rift rate
  1. The only thing I would say change is the PSU. Go with a better brand like Corsair, Antec, etc. 80 plus at minimum or better yet bronze rating.
  2. goatsword said:
    The only thing I would say change is the PSU. Go with a better brand like Corsair, Antec, etc. 80 plus at minimum or better yet bronze rating.



    Thx that was 1 item that was weighing on my mind i was also considering a corsair 750 any thoughts on that supply?
  3. 1. Echo on the PSU comments. XFX Black 750 gets a 10.0 performance rating on jonnyguru and costs $100, Core editions costs $90 and gets 9.5 rating.

    2. The H70 gets toasted by (6C) the Kuhler 620 when outfitted w/ identical fans and the Kuhler is substantially cheaper.

    http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=694&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=5

    Thermaltake Jing 69.7 +11.0
    Corsair H50 68.1 +9.4
    Coolit Vantage A.L.C. 67.8 +9.1
    Corsair H70 64.7 +6.0
    Coolit ECO A.L.C. 64.3 +5.6
    Cooler Master V6 GT 59.5 +0.8
    Prolimatech Super Mega 59.4 +0.7
    Antec Kühler H2O 620 58.7 +0.0
    Thermalright Venomous X 58.0 -0.7

    Quote:
    But what I do know are the performance figures I got in my testing, which place the Kühler solidly in the lead of all other all-in-one water coolers that I've tested. Frankly its performance is almost unbelievably good: its stock-fan performance is 7.2 degrees cooler than Corsair H50, whose radiator appears to be identical. With the high-speed Delta fan on both coolers, the performance gap widens to 9.4 degrees. I can't come up with any explanation other than increased flow rate, but in the end that's really irrelevant, as the performance speaks for itself. Its only competitor in the all-in-one water cooling market is the Corsair H70, which achieves similar stock-fan performance with its thicker radiator and dual fans. However, the H70 is both noisier and significantly more expensive than Antec's Kühler.

    Priced to compete with high-end air coolers, the Kühler offers similar performance and a lower noise level. It's the first compact liquid cooler I've tested that can honestly be considered as competition for the likes of the Cooler Master V6 GT, Prolimatech Megahalems, and Thermalright Venomous X.

    The performance of the Antec Kühler H20 620 was excellent, exceeding that of every other water cooler I've tested and encroaching on the performance range of the very best air coolers. .... But I'm not going to get hung up on the Kühler's minimalist aesthetic. The Antec Kühler H2O 620 is the best-performing water cooler I've tested....
  4. JackNaylorPE said:
    1. Echo on the PSU comments. XFX Black 750 gets a 10.0 performance rating on jonnyguru and costs $100, Core editions costs $90 and gets 9.5 rating.

    2. The H70 gets toasted by (6C) the Kuhler 620 when outfitted w/ identical fans and the Kuhler is substantially cheaper.

    http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=694&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=5

    Thermaltake Jing 69.7 +11.0
    Corsair H50 68.1 +9.4
    Coolit Vantage A.L.C. 67.8 +9.1
    Corsair H70 64.7 +6.0
    Coolit ECO A.L.C. 64.3 +5.6
    Cooler Master V6 GT 59.5 +0.8
    Prolimatech Super Mega 59.4 +0.7
    Antec Kühler H2O 620 58.7 +0.0
    Thermalright Venomous X 58.0 -0.7

    Quote:
    But what I do know are the performance figures I got in my testing, which place the Kühler solidly in the lead of all other all-in-one water coolers that I've tested. Frankly its performance is almost unbelievably good: its stock-fan performance is 7.2 degrees cooler than Corsair H50, whose radiator appears to be identical. With the high-speed Delta fan on both coolers, the performance gap widens to 9.4 degrees. I can't come up with any explanation other than increased flow rate, but in the end that's really irrelevant, as the performance speaks for itself. Its only competitor in the all-in-one water cooling market is the Corsair H70, which achieves similar stock-fan performance with its thicker radiator and dual fans. However, the H70 is both noisier and significantly more expensive than Antec's Kühler.

    Priced to compete with high-end air coolers, the Kühler offers similar performance and a lower noise level. It's the first compact liquid cooler I've tested that can honestly be considered as competition for the likes of the Cooler Master V6 GT, Prolimatech Megahalems, and Thermalright Venomous X.

    The performance of the Antec Kühler H20 620 was excellent, exceeding that of every other water cooler I've tested and encroaching on the performance range of the very best air coolers. .... But I'm not going to get hung up on the Kühler's minimalist aesthetic. The Antec Kühler H2O 620 is the best-performing water cooler I've tested....



    I did a little research on that cause the numbers were definetly surprising. This is what i found out.

    The corsair h50/h60/h70 and the kuhler 620 are all made by asetek. the 620 is basically an h50 rad with the h70 water block. the only real difference that i can see is tube diameter and i am not sure if that would account for enough water flow to make a 6 degree difference.

    I find it hard to beleive that the 620 with its 120 mm rad can outperform the h70 so i will look for more unbiased reviews which is pretty hard as most reviewers are sporting adds from 1 or the other company above the reviews.

    And i do thank you for bringing that to my attention 6degrees would be an insane difference as i am shooting for a 4.2 oc on my 970 i will need every bit of cooling i can get.

    Noise isn't going to be an issue as i use headphones 100% of my playing time and will be purchasing a couple of 3k rpm fans and a controller to replace the h70 stock fans which are very poor performers anyway.
  5. To answer your original question, yes the system will play rift at about any quality settings you choose. The limiting factor will be the internet connection to their servers (latency and packet loss). Having played the beta it seems they have a very good server farm running.
  6. Whoa 1st off Rift recommended specs
    http://www.eq2flames.com/technical-support/74128-rift-system-requirements-minimum-recommended.html
    Quote:
    Recommended System Specification
    Operating system: Windows XP, Vista or 7
    Processor: Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz or better
    Memory: 4 GB
    Hard disk space: 8.0 GB available
    Desktop Video: Nvidia GTS 250 or better
    Notebook Video: Nvidia GTX 200M series or better
    Sound: DirectX 8.1 compliant card
    DirectX®: 9.0c, June 2010 update
    Broadband internet connection (DSL, cable modem or other high speed connection)


    And i always cringe at peeps splashing on one trick ponies so if Rift is the only stuff u play and just surf the net, word process, etc the rest of the time


    Rana X3
    no frills 760G/770/785G or 870/880G if u want USB/SATA 3.0
    4gb ddr3
    HD 5770- HD 6850
    380-500w 80+ psu

    good to go
  7. I guess it will do. As you are an AMD lover I can't really suggest anything else. I personally would not spend that kind of money on a vastly inferior CPU to an Intel Sandy Bridge, but then I am a man who goes with best performance at a decent price.

    You should have no issues playing Rift with that. My friend is playing the game with an e2180 @ 3ghz, a 5850 and only 2gb RAM and he does just fine at least on medium settings (he could go higher but would be crippled by Rift invasions, but then the i5 2500K and a GTX 560 my wife has also got clobbered down to 25fps in an invasion, however that was at Ultra settings).

    Personally the only reason I would go AMD is for the good value it can offer - at which point it would be Batuchka's build that I would be using. If you are going budget go RANA x3, if going high end then stay away from AMD until their new stuff comes out for godsake!
  8. batuchka said:
    Whoa 1st off Rift recommended specs
    http://www.eq2flames.com/technical-support/74128-rift-system-requirements-minimum-recommended.html
    Quote:
    Recommended System Specification
    Operating system: Windows XP, Vista or 7
    Processor: Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz or better
    Memory: 4 GB
    Hard disk space: 8.0 GB available
    Desktop Video: Nvidia GTS 250 or better
    Notebook Video: Nvidia GTX 200M series or better
    Sound: DirectX 8.1 compliant card
    DirectX®: 9.0c, June 2010 update
    Broadband internet connection (DSL, cable modem or other high speed connection)


    And i always cringe at peeps splashing on one trick ponies so if Rift is the only stuff u play and just surf the net, word process, etc the rest of the time


    Rana X3
    no frills 760G/770/785G or 870/880G if u want USB/SATA 3.0
    4gb ddr3
    HD 5770- HD 6850
    380-500w 80+ psu

    good to go



    Rift wont be the only thing i play with it i also play crisis dead space and left for dead but mainly rift.

    Also when is the last time you built a machine to the minimum requirements? If i enjoyed playing games on low settings and 13 frames per second I would consider it but that sounds Un-Fun..

    With games being turned out like they are on a production line i Dont want to have to do this again in 4-5 months. Besides 1200$ usd isn't what i would call breaking the bank for a gaming machine.
  9. Best answer
    Nope that is recommended not min system requirements ^^ With crysis on the table up to a GPU matching the res/settings
  10. Best answer selected by addiktet.
  11. Sorry bout that batuchka . I currently have an 17 920 with a 4870 and it wont handle above low settings so wanted to go big and get to ultra at 1920x1080.
  12. Yep no problems and enjoy your new toys ^^
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems