Upgrade -- Vid Card the weak link?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cortright

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
Hey guys. I've got the system below, and am starting to run into the dreaded screen chop/etc when playing WoW in Cataclysm expansion. Am I wise to upgrade the video card, or just rebuild with the new intel chipset?

Cost isn't a huge issue but I see no reason to build a new system if I can just throw in a newer vid card and be fine for another year or two. Appreciate any advice.

So, upgrade card, or upgrade whole system (or something else?) If so, what would you recommend?

MEM 2Gx4|MUSHKIN
CPU INTEL|C2Q Q9550 2.83
PSU ANTEC|TPQ-1000 1000W
MS WIN VISTA HM PREM SP1 64BIT
MB ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA
HD 640G|WD 7K 16M WD6400
VGA SAPPHIRE 100251SR HD4870X2 2G

Your current system is still decent enough even for today's standard, I would say Oc that CPU to 3.0GHz or above and get a new GPU like HD6870 or HD6970 if you can.
What about the other games? Does it chop as well? To be honest, if your HD4870x2 is fine, that card is still fast for modern games...

mrjericho1991

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
but even with 6950,he wont see any performance increase and 6950s are over priced tooo.a hd 4870x2 is still awesome and incrediable at performance.i would say that he should keep his current gpu.dont upgrade for just one crappy game.

cortright

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
I disabled crossfire and I am absolutely seeing better performance. (boggle)

So there's simply no way for WoW to effectively take advantage of both GPUs?

That sucks, but I am seeing much better framerates. Thanks guys for the advice!

Just a nickname

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009

I don't know for the 4870x2 but with driver update, the 5970 (dual gpu card) performed better in wow according to some benchmarks I can't find :pfff: .

The latest version of catalyst (not to confound with catalysm ;p ) can be available here:
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/downloads.aspx

You can give it a try and see if you can get better results.

Edit: Also it is not wrong that you can get extra performance with higher frequency on your CPU (by overclocking it). I'd recommend you to search on the web for guide "how to overclock q9550" by example. I don't think it is really important for WoW (might not worth the trouble if you're only playing WoW) but you could surely get extra FPS on other games...

Status
Not open for further replies.