Upgrading old computer, curious where to go

weihaas

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
Really know little about desktop builds, but have inherited an old build (not ancient but needs upgrades) and would like to know the best order (and suggestions of specific items would be amazing) to upgrade it into more of a gaming rig - nothing extreme.

Here are the current specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
6600@2.4ghz
ASUSTek P5B-Deluxe
Intel P965/G965 (PCIe)
Corsair DDR2 PC2-G400 2x 1024 MB
Radeon HD 5750

I know it's old and perhaps the best solution is to replace everything. Was just hoping someone could suggest specific items I can purchase and upgrade in the ballpark of 400 total 500 if it's aboslutely a must.

Should I be concerned about a PSU required too or just CPU motherboard ram and card maybe?

Thanks so much,
Evan

Considering games aren't even quad core optimised

The Game Rundown: Finding CPU/GPU Bottlenecks, Part 2
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/game-performance-bottleneck,2738-16.html
Conclusion: A Trend Toward 3+ Cores

The average optimal number of CPU cores suggested by the test results is 2.75, showing a clear trend towards at least three CPU cores.The question of whether the CPU or GPU is most important is easily answered. If you don't have a multi-core CPU, then upgrade it. If you have a dual-core CPU at around 3 GHz, then invest your money into a graphics card, as most games are GPU-limited. This is not something that will change with new DirectX 11 games.

if u play stuff like GTAIV or Dragon's Age origins try OCing or if u can land em a cheap Kentsfield/Yorkfield on the used hardware market? If you playing stuff like Crysis though a GPU upgrade would be the single most best upgrade :p

john5246

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010

As a basic guideline I wouldn't upgrade this current build with anything that can't be swapped over to a new build. You've got good components in there but the tech you have is becoming very dated. People are looking at 6-core CPU's now, DDR3 Memory, and USB 3.0.

The best way to spend that money is probably on a new powerful GPU and nothing else (maybe more RAM??). This can easily be transferred to a new build and be useful right away. Because for your next build you should shoot for the following:

6-core CPU (intel/AMD)
USB 3.0
DDR3 Triple channel (not dual-channel DDR3)
Solid State Hard Drive or SSD ready (in other words make sure there's enough bandwidth from the board to take advantage of it at some point if you don't go with that right away)

Right now you could accomplish some amazing things with that money on a 6000 series AMD GPU. I have a similar problem as you and I decided that rather than spend any money on my current system, which can handle everything except crysis and metro 2033 without any hiccups, I'd rather use that money toward a new build that has the next set of standards. Actually I'm reading some of the other replies and they seem to be along the same line, just upgrade the GPU.

asteldian

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Don't buy a new CPU for your build.
The best options is to buy a good GPU which can be transfered to your next build and also a decent CPU cooler to Overclock the E6600 I would go for the Hyper212+ as it is cheap, very good and can be used on all modern Intel sockets and also AMD I believe, so it gives you freedom of choice when you upgrade the PC)
You may want to pick up another 2gb of DDR2 RAM, the problem with this is it won't be compatible with the new PC. But at least it is fairly cheap

If this is a gaming rig, then when you upgrade you don't need more than a Sandy Bridge quad core CPU (Likely the i5 2500k). 6 core or more is wasted money. Also the build will use dual channel DDR3 RAM which is cheaper that Triple Channel.

When you can afford it you would be changing the PC to:
i5 2500k - $230
Asus P8P67 - the non pro version is probably ~$140, the Pro version (allows SLI) ~ $190
G Skill 4gb 1600mhz RAM (or 8gb if you can afford it) ~$50

So on the cheap side, $470 for a huge upgrade to the core of your system. But once you OC your CPU there is no rush to do so.
But for now, the cooler for OCing and a decent GPU is the way to go. Depending on the resolution you play at, probably something like a GTX 460 1gb would do. Or obviously if you want a more powerful card you could GTX560 it or go Radeon

weihaas

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
is this something CPU-Z can check? (Ampage)

john5246

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010

You don't see the developers taking advantage of the 6-core cpu's? So it's best to just stick with RAM and GPU upgrades huh?