Asus M5A78L-M LX + AMD FX-4100 BIOS

evga_fan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
Hi

I'm planning to get the Asus M5A78L-M LX to run with my FX-4100. Have heard that the mobo needs a BIOS update to work with the new FX processors. This is wierd I think, as they advertise 'AM3+ ready' on the box. Nevertheless, do I have to get another cpu to perform the flash or can I just pop in the 4100 and load ez flash 2 straight away to update BIOS without damaging anything?

Thx in advance!

evga_fan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010

Thank you for your reply!

Yeah I was kinda hoping to get around that somehow. Thing is, I don't want to go through all the hassle with RMA and stuff or buy another cpu, just to get something that should work right-out-of-the-box, to work (if you know what I mean).

I guess what I am trying to say is that; are there any mobos out there that are shipped with the fx-updated BIOS already preinstalled? Or does that depend on the different batches/manufacturer dates or maybe just plain simple luck? There should be some info about this on the mobo box sticker, next to the bar-code or something, right?

Batches and popularity, the more popular the least amount of 'dust' on the box and will typically have a minimum BIOS for FX. I truly wish that ASUS would include, as they do on their Intel ROG lines, USB BIOS Flashback; you don't need RAM or a CPU to update the BIOS - it's cool.

Therefore, I can't stick out my neck for any guarantees.

Clearly, if any AM3+ lack the FX BIOS it's a PITA; IMO the simplest is to get an AMD Sempron 145; I hobby system build and have one just in case and if needed to test (rule-out) the MOBO vs CPU.

evga_fan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010

Alright man, think I know what to do. Maybe just take it to a local store or something. Seriously though, this is really stupid. FX at launch was a let-down but atleast you would think that this kind of problem surely wouldn't exist.

Cheers

I totally agree and asked TH to run the story, my first post on this issue took me off guard until I actually called ASUS and they told me this is a Universal Problem of non-updated shipped MOBO's. I see this come up 1~2/week.

Good Luck! :sol:

rage33

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
I just built a FX-system for a friend and I used a Gigabyte GA-970a-d3 board and it was flashed properly for the FX-6100 that I put in the board. I also just recently upgraded my own motherboard to a ASUS Sabertooth 990fx, it recognized my FX-8120 enough to POST and install the OS, then I flashed the BIOS to the latest version. Initially the motherboard only recognized my CPU as a generic 4-core AMD processor but did allow me to boot and load the OS without having to have a different CPU first.

evga_fan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
So maybe they are now starting to ship mobos with fx compatible BIOS.

Now, while we're at it, I spotted an Asus M5A78L-M LX V2 (what does the 'V2' stand for). Is it an updated version of the 'regular' Asus M5A78L-M LX? As far as I can tell, it only has added support for higher speed memory than the Asus M5A78L-M LX.

evga_fan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
Oh ok, but which one of these would you choose, if you had to:

Asus M5A78L-M LX

or

MSI 760GM-P23

both are similarly priced...

Depends on what I/O you need. They're both very basic AM3+ MOBOs, and neither is meant to OC. The MSI can accept 8GB/DIMM RAM, and I generally prefer ASUS for better build quality.

MSI:
- 1 x PS/2 mouse port
- 1 x PS/2 keyboard port
- 6 x USB 2.0 ports
- 1 x Graphic Card port
- 1 x DVI-D port
- 1 x RJ45 LAN jack
- 1 x 3 in 1 audio jack

ASUS:
1 x PS/2 keyboard (purple)
1 x PS/2 mouse (green)
1 x D-Sub
1 x LAN (RJ45) port(s)
4 x USB 2.0
1 x COM port(s)
1 x Parallel port(s)
3 x Audio Jack(s)

Ref - MSI 760GM-P23 (FX) - http://www.msi.com/product/mb/760GM-P23--FX-.html#/?div=Detail
95W CPU (NO 125W) CPU support

batty_boy2k

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Hello all

I've got a FX-4 3.6mhz CPU installed with the ASUS M5A78L ...

The mobo shipped with a BIOS (0319) which needed to be updated to BIOS 0403 to support the FX ... I've updated the BIOS with the latest file 0802 and the CPU still refuses to start !

Really annoying ... the system works fine with a Sempron 145

I just don't understand it ...

Looks like im now going to have to send the CPU back as faulty and see what the mail order company say when they test it ... otherwise I'll send the mobo back and get a different one hopefully which will work

I've never had such a chore of upgrading a pc !

Think my money next time will be with Intel

batty_boy2k

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Hey Jaquith

I've tried resetting the CMOS and the FX4 processor still stops the motherboard from running POST

I've also tried to flash the BIOS back to 0403 from 0802 but the ez flash, asus update and DOS Bupdater.exe is having none of it !

This is driving me around the bend ... looks like i'll get the CPU sent back first and tested, and then if not have the mobo sent back and replaced

Having had a look at other AM3+ boards there really isn't much choice other than ASUS or Gigabyte - however the Gigabyte requires an 8pin ATX cable ... never seen thsese before on ATX PSUs

rage33

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010

Most PSUs' on recent years come equipped with two 4-pin cpu power connectors, so you can run any motherboard with either a 4-pin or 8-pin CPU power connector.

As I said, on the ASUS M5A78L-M LX and FX CPU requires a MINIMUM BIOS of 0510 for ANY FX CPU even to post, and if you put your BIOS to pre-FX BIOS (0403) then you're hosed without a donor CPU to flash the BIOS. You can RMA the MOBO to ASUS, borrow or purchase a 'supported' CPU, or bring it to a Computer Shop.

batty_boy2k

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Hello again

I've had the motherboard and CPU tested by the tech team from where i purchased both items

They say they've updated the BIOS and both CPU and MOBO work fine ...

Funny though i've got the items back today and neither work ! The MOBO powers up and no POST happens, i put the sepron back in and boots up and goes through POST fine.

The only last item I could think causing a hardware problem is the RAM, i've got DDR3 1333mhz in the MOBO ... would this stop the FX4100 from running ?

I'm being driven up the wall again as the MOBO will stop not boot to POST with the FX chip installed ... upgrading a computer should not be this much bother

Thanks

ray horton

Honorable
May 2, 2012

I'm having the same problem, pretty sad when you lay out that kind of money and still have nothing ,waiting for my fx4100 to come back from amd ,asus said it was the processor,after they sent me an updated bios when the one in the motherboard was the wrong one WTF !

mrstyl

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
I have had the same problem, and thanks to this post I was able to identify that the bios needed to be upgraded. Out of frustration of not having a sempron (and the local computer shop not knowing what they are doing), I decided to call asus tech support. An amazing thing happened, they helped. It was not the best idea, but it was cheaper than purchasing the sempron for 20 bucks and saved me from sending the motherboard in. asus has an eStore where you can actually purchase the bios chip for this motherboard. It was 14.99. Once it came in the mail a few days later, I took the old chip out, put the new one in, and voila, I am currently loading my os as we speak. Hopefully this helps others who are in the same situation

here is the link to the chip at the asus estore:
http://us.estore.asus.com

put in the search bar "bios chips" then put this SKU in the SKU field:

M5-MB-BIOS

hope this helps

polaroid_mojang

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015

I have the same problem of the BIOS, Im planning to buy the Sempron 140 to update it and then use my fx 6300. You sure the sempron works, shipping takes a real long time in my country, Im talking about 2 months. So I dont wanna buy the wrong item. I appreciate your help