"3-pack" OEM from Amazon only one DVD?

jage

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I bought a 3-pack of OEM Windows 7 off of Amazon and the invoice says "3 pack" but I only got one DVD with only one key on the back. The sticker with the key says "You must affix this certificate of Authenticity to your PC" - but there is only one which is what got me worrying. Nothing on the packaging itself says anything about be a 3-pack, or three anything.

Did I get the wrong product or is the key valid for 3 installs or something?

How many Computers Can You Install One Windows 7 License On?
If you purchase one (1) Windows 7 edition, you may install and activate it on just one (1) computer. If you are so inclined, consider Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Family Pack (3-User) for installation on up to three (3) computers in your household.

Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Family Pack for 3 Users Questions

1. What is the Windows 7 Family Pack?
The Windows 7 Family Pack is a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium that you can install on up to three PCs in your home. It includes both 32-bit and 64-bit installation discs.

2. Where do I get the Windows 7 Family Pack and how much does it cost??
The Windows 7 Family Pack is available from October 22nd until supplies last in the US and other select markets. The estimated retail price in the US is $149.99. Actual price may vary. To purchase the Windows 7 Family Pack now, or to see a list of participating retailers, go to: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/offers/windows-7-family-pack.aspx

3. How many computers can I activate Windows 7 on with this license?
You can activate Windows 7 Home Premium on up to three PC’s in a household (single residential address) with the Family Pack.

4. How many product keys do I get with the Family Pack license?
You will receive only one product key that will activate up to three PC’s running Windows 7 Home Premium.

5. Is the Family Pack license for an “Upgrade Version” or a “Full Install Version” of Windows 7?
The Family Pack is an upgrade version only. This means that you need to be running Windows XP or Windows Vista on the PCs that you want to install it on.

6. Where can I get more information about the Windows 7 Family Pack?
For more information please see the Windows 7 Family Pack webpage:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/offers/windows-7-family-pack.aspx

jage

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
7 Home Premium Upgrade Family Pack (3-User)

This is not what I bought. I bought a 3-Pack OEM Windows 7, not "Family Pack", not upgrade. Since OEM is meant to be a manufacturer license I don't see how they expect the one license activated on 3 computers to stay together... in other words it makes no sense on paper so I would like to get clarification that somehow this OEM key is good for 3 activations and I got the right thing.

Why don't you show us the Amazon link for what you bought so we don't have to guess or argue about what you bought???????????????????

There is no such thing as a 3 pack of Windows that comes with 3 disks. You get one disk, and one key, that can be used for 3 different installs on 3 different computers.

You either bought a system builder 3 pack or a family 3 pack. If it was under $150, you bought a upgrade 3 pack.

tlw1999

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011

OEM Win 7 can be installed on one PC only. The OEM builder bought a 3 pack OEM with 3 licenses and sold you one license. You can install that on one system only with one license.

jage

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Why don't you show us the Amazon link for what you bought so we don't have to guess or argue about what you bought???????????????????

Sorry, thought I was pretty clear about what I intended to buy (3-pack OEM licenses), this is the item purchased:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q0R3OQ/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

I understand retail vs OEM, I understand upgrade vs new install, 64bit vs 32bit etc.

The OEM builder bought a 3 pack OEM with 3 licenses and sold you one license.
I certainly hope this isn't the case as then I paid $290 for one license... $290 is a bit less than 3 individual OEM licenses, so I understood from everything that I selected and paid for 3 OEM, however with only one disk and one key I want to verify that I got 3 OEM licenses in the form of one DVD and one sticker.

tlw1999

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011

Ok, you should be able to install onto 3 PCs using that one license.