Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 - Radeon HD 6870 not working on it - Help!

miqdad

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 - Radeon HD 6870 not working on it - Help!

so the graphics card i read is a PCI-Express card 2.1 but the motherboard I thought should support it as its PCI Express 2.0 & 3.0 so I thought this should be fine I put the power into the graphics card 1x 6pin and slot it into the PCI-E slot and turn on, I go into bios enable PCI-Express you can see the fan on the graphics card moving and everything but the hardware registers, it decets no card the card is PCI-E 2.1 but surely PCI 3.0 works backwards dosent it any hard ware bios updates or anything for this motherboard,

A- Should I send motherboard back ive read alot having issues with it
B- Send Graphics card back again same graphics card having problems registering power colour radeon HD 6870

ps this is my first build everything went fine apart from this graphics card issue

running

i7 2600k intel
Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen3 Motherboard
Graphics card : Power colour HD Radeon 6870 1GDDR5
SSD 120 gb coasir
PSU Corsair TX 850 Watts
16 gb Ram Corsair

Welcome to Tom's Forum! :)

ref - http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z68V_PROGEN3/

Place the GPU in the top (Blue) PCIe slot closest to the CPU. Use the PSU's PCIe 6+2 PCIe lead (not some Molex concoction), and if you can 'see' the BIOS in a post then it's working. In the BIOS Load (Optimized) Defaults and save and exit BIOS.

ANS:
A - Not yet.
B - Not yet.

Yes, PCIe 3.x is 100% backwards compatible with PCIe 2.x.

miqdad

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
whats a molex concoction the graphics card has 2x6pin that can be inserted I put one in as im not crossfiring I think thats what it said on the box ive put it into the bottom 6pin the wire is labeled PCI-E as well do i put the 2 pins in or leave them out thanks for fast reply and thanks for warm welcome!

miqdad

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
its attached to the mobo cuz the computer dosent turn on if you do it the other way for some bios check it does and its closest to the CPU

Correct, use the PSU's 2 x 6+2-Pin with the +2-Pin bent over.

The GPU box often comes with Molex to PCIe 6-pin adapters which you don't need to use. Molex (don't use):
31C%2B-0OrPKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

miqdad

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
im using the 1x 6 pin with 2 pins coming over into the graphics card
the fan is spinning on the graphics card

is there a chance that my VGA cable for this job needs to be DVI

also the im using a DVI converter to my vga is there a chance as one side is linked to VGA on my screen that the computer is registering it as DVI only and not VGA.

miqdad

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
o and also some DVI pins in the dvi converter are missing the mobo one has a line and 4 pins around it graphics card hasnt the converter for the VGA cable has a few pins missing might be problematic need to find a DVI cable,

If it's not posting when the monitor is connected to the GPU - then remove the GPU, and re-seat in the top PCIe slot, and boot in to the BIOS from the onboard video out. In the BIOS verify 'Initiate Graphics Adapter -> PEG/PCI. Shutdown and use the GPU's DVI connector; failure try the DVI -> VGA adapter and connect to the VGA port on the monitor.

I am assuming the PSU is connected properly with the 2 x PCIe 6-pin or per the GPU's requirement.

If there's a failure then Clear CMOS using the Jumper method ; see -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdHH9KrceR0 afterwards set the Date and Time in the BIOS, Load Optimized Defaults + Save and Exit = yes and reboot.

According to this PowerColor AX6870 1GBD5-M2DH Radeon HD 687 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161389 the GPU has 2 X 6 pin connectors so you need to use 2 x 6+2-Pin with the +2-Pin bent over.

miqdad

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
il try 2 pci e again first then try remove then try the rest thing is the fan is running on the graphics card which should be ok

miqdad

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
ok got it to work you need to slam the GPU into the closet slot near the CPU put two 6pinx2pin into it mine were labelled on my CPU so nice of them to do that then make sure the DVI cable connector is in higher teir of the two the lower one wont work make sure you load default in bios for this to work then restart use the mobo for that make sure the TPU and EPU switch isnt green install everything drivers etc then switch em on if you want but thanks for all the help seems to work now il let you know if any problems il upload some photos of my first build

special thanks to jaquith!