Powerunit problem :(

mysteryman_15133

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Hi :)
I bought a Geforce550 graphic card to be able to run Nvidia's 3D kit on my computer , then i noticed my current power unit dont have a PCI-E cabble thats needed to drive the card .
So i went and bought a new power unit with that cable....
Then when i was going to install the new power-unit (ok ok i know i should have checked this before but found out when i already bought a new power-unit......lol) I noticed there's another power socket on the motherboard ....and of cause the new power-unit doesnt have THAT cable......ugh .

The motherboard is a Foxconn 2AA9 1.00 .
the current power-unit is a Hp D3006A0

I've tried (in vain ) to find out what this socket runs , it's a small 4 pin connector with the pins set in a square shape , like 2 * 2 .

Would be very greatfull in anyone know what socket i mean and how to solve this problem .....i really long to try out the new graphic card!

:heink:

totalknowledge

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
Most current psu's have that connector. Not sure where you got the other one from, but you should consider sending it back.

get something like this one instead...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207018

ETA: That one actually comes with a 4 + 4 pin connector for the cpu, so if you upgrade your MB at some point and need an 8 pin connector you are gtg. However that psu won't do multiple cards, or a card that needs an 8 pin connector.

mysteryman_15133

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

Hi :) ty for answering , what IS that connector powering ???

mysteryman_15133

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

ty again , as you can tell i'm not familiar with this stuff .....lol
i noticed looking at the new power unit box it listed one of the 8 pin connectors as "EPS/ATX12V 4-pin &8 pin compatible"
is it this connector i should use ??? i dont want to risk frying the motherboard.....lol

totalknowledge

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
Yes, the EPS/ATX12V connector is what powers the CPU. If it comes conjoined as an 8-pin it should separate into two 4-pin connectors. Just make sure you do not, plug the PCIE connector into the EPS/ATX12V motherboard header or it will likely fry everything.