Sign in with
Your question

Budget Gaming Computer $600~700

Last response: in Systems
February 18, 2011 2:15:08 PM

Hi folks!

I have been doing a lot of reading and research over the past few weeks for building this new 'puter. I'm upgrading from a crummy old and dying laptop so have almost no parts. But still even after reading dozens of reviews and articles i'd like specific advice from people that know what they're doing. This will be my first build ever and i am excited!

Quote:
Approximate Purchase Date: this week and next week

Budget Range: $600-700 (US) After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, ArcGIS, Digital Audio Editing, internet etc.

Parts Not Required: keyboard/mouse

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, tigerdirect.com, amazon.com

Overclocking: Will consider overlocking to boost my CPU a bit

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 - lots of space for editing. means gpu has to be stronger though

I've already purchased these parts:

AMD Athlon x4 640 3.0GHz CPU - $99.99 @ Tigerdirect
PNY XLR8 4GB DDR-3 1600 RAM - $19.99 @ Tigerdirect (after coupon and rebate)
ASUS VE248H LED/LCD 24" 2ms monitor - $59.99 @ Amazon (after left-over gift card money)

Parts considering:

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 7200rpm - $40.00 @ newegg or amazon. i don't need a ton of space
Motherboard: something with an AMD 870 chipset that i can find in a newegg combo with another part. ~$80 - $100
GPU: Either a GTX 460 1gb or Radeon HD 5850 or maybe 6850? ~$150 - $200 (probably less than 200 after rebates)
CPU Cooler: If i want to overclock i will buy something like the Coolermaster Hyper 212+ for ~$20

No idea:
Case / PSU. I reckon i will need about a 500W PSU with at least 30 on the 12V rails. Preferably at least 80+ certified. The case/PSU is where i really don't know how much i should spend. Casewise I think I prefer a mid-ATX tower - smaller form factors are cool but because this is babby's first computer i don't want to build anything too difficult. In order to stay under budget it looks like I'd have to stay around $100 for both the case and PSU, which limits choices considerably. however i would like the case to last me several years so it can be reused, so i'm very open to suggestions here.

Also am i going overkill on the GPU choice? would a gtx 460 768mb or hd 5770 be enough at that resolution? I'm thinking it's better to spend a little more just for longevity/better warranties, and if i find a good rebate or combo it lowers the price of a 1gb by a good amount. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to help!
Related resources
February 19, 2011 1:19:19 AM

thanks guys!
February 19, 2011 7:15:31 AM

Yep happy shopping and u are welcomed ^^
!