okay, so heres what we have:
■MoBo- ASUS M4A88T-I Deluxe
■CPU- AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
■RAM- Kingston HyperX 8GB kit DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1600mhz
■GPU- ASUS Radeon HD 6970
■SSD- SAMSUNG 470 Series 256Gb SSD
■PSU- NZXT HALE90 750W
■Case- SilverStone SG07-B
†This will be a later purchase unless something better comes out... for the mean time I will use the on board graphics.
‡this will only be purchased if the included PSU with the SG07 is not sufficient to drive this puppy overclocked to ~4ghz

This will be hooked up to my Samsung SyncMaster 305t :sol: and my Sans Digital RAID5 box (w/ 3tb of storage).
When I purchase the dedicated video card I will also be purchasing an Epson [strike]EX71[/strike] EX7200 projector for movies, photo critique and playing console games (woo N64)

Any thoughts or criticism?
-Ian

ps: I'm still trying to decide on a cooler for this rig... I'm thinking I want to stick with air cooling, using something like the NH-C14... I could cut up a project box and vertically mount two 70mm fans on the bottom side of the cooler to suck the hot air out from under the cooler and blow it out of the case...

This will be hooked up to my Samsung SyncMaster 305t and my Sans Digital RAID5 box (w/ 3tb of storage).
When I purchase the dedicated video card I will also be purchasing an Epson EX71 projector for movies, photo critique and playing console games (woo N64)

Err i dun see how a X6 + HD 6970 is needed for the above tasks to be honest and SG-07 isn't much smaller than mATX shoebox/cubes and the latter uses standard ATX form factor PSUs that could be modular so better cable management and hence better airflow for a SFF build IMO

ironic_sobriquet

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
I did forget to mention I do web development and play video games too... ~30% of the usage on this rig will be video games (FPS, RPG and RTS) and 30% will be simultaneously running Photoshop, Bridge and Dream Weaver while testing my code on IE, FireFox, Chrome and Safari... so multitasking is imperative.

also in response to batuchka, the SG07 has fantastic airflow... in fact it has an independent air intake specifically for the GPU... which is something no other case has... Though, I'm confused why you mentioned the PSU? Because this case does use a standard ATX PSU.

the build isn't really about /need/... I mean, I do /need/ a new computer, but I finally have money to spend on a new rig and I /want/ a six core proc and a bad ass gpu...

Yep standard ATX PSU fixed cables on SG07 and have a look at this

sg07-stocks.jpg

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2010/06/28/silverstone-sugo-sg07-mini-itx-case-review/2
In theory, you can swap the bundled power supply out for any other PSU, although SilverStone advises against it because the cables have been specifically shortened for the size of the case - the ATX and EPS12V power cables are typically long, but the PCI Express cables are notably shorter. We still think SilverStone could have done a better job though: not only do the cables jut out awkwardly into the back of an installed graphics card, making it very difficult to install, and as you can see above, the ATX cable is arguably too long. In such a small case modular cabling is arguably not just better but a necessity.

ironic_sobriquet

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010

holy hell that is awful cable management... honestly who ever did that did not use any cable retention clips or even try to tuck any of the cables out of the way... but I appreciate the picture and understand it will be more difficult to have a clean cable management system in this case... I'm pretty sure you can also tuck the extra cable under the MoBo tray in this case (just like any other ATX case...) or if it gets really annoying I can always just cut the extra cable and hot glue over the ends (DIY modular PSU :na: )

edit: I think I could also unwrap those cable bundles to make them flat "ribbon" cables so they fit nicer under and in between components...
edit2: what case would you use for this rig, if not the SG07?

ironic_sobriquet

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
[strike]No offense, but that is a seriously goofy looking case...[/strike] It's not my style of case (it looks super plastic'y and chinsey)... and I really don't like the idea of mounting the PSU directly above the MoBo... seems like it would interrupt proper air flow...
The cpu cooler is nice, I'll do some research on it... :)
Lastly, the motherboard I picked doesn't support SATAIII... so I would also have to wait for a new fully loaded mITX MoBo to come out with SATAIII compatibility...

All of the components will be purchased over the summer once classes finish... so I guess we can see what happens in the next few months.

TRENDING THREADS