Laptop carrying case recommendations?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
March 25, 2005 3:28:50 AM

Hello,

I just ordered a Dell Inspiron 6000, and declined to purchase any of
the offered carrying cases. I assume the laptop will not come with
even a basic carrying case (don't see it mentioned.)

So, what are considered the better or best carrying cases suitable for
this laptop?

Thanks!

Mark
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 25, 2005 3:28:51 AM

Mark wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just ordered a Dell Inspiron 6000, and declined to purchase any of
> the offered carrying cases. I assume the laptop will not come with
> even a basic carrying case (don't see it mentioned.)
>
> So, what are considered the better or best carrying cases suitable for
> this laptop?

It all depends on what type of case you want... Handle? Room for
accessories? If so, how many accessories? Price? Etc., etc., etc.

Notan
March 25, 2005 4:04:59 AM

Notan wrote:
>Mark wrote:

>> I just ordered a Dell Inspiron 6000, and declined to purchase any of
>> the offered carrying cases. I assume the laptop will not come with
>> even a basic carrying case (don't see it mentioned.)
>>
>> So, what are considered the better or best carrying cases suitable for
>> this laptop?

> It all depends on what type of case you want... Handle? Room for
> accessories? If so, how many accessories? Price? Etc., etc., etc.

Good questions.

I'm not exactly sure what I want yet, but have some general ideas
from carrying around my antique Micron XPE for several years (using a
Micron carrying case.)

Maybe what I want now is a list of manufacturers noted for the quality
and design of their laptop carrying cases, plus online resources which
rate/discuss laptop carrying cases (I'm checking into Laptop Magazine
now, but it does not appear its ratings of carrying cases are online
-- Google is strangely not responding at the moment.)

Some general reqs:

Price, of course, is critical. I don't want to spend more than about
$100, and preferably in the $50-70 range. (Hopefully I can get a
significant discount from somewhere.)

Accessories to carry: Besides the laptop (with a 15.4" screen), I will
carry the power supply/cord (I assume it is typical size), a USB
mouse, an ethernet-connect CAT5 cable (6' or so), a phone cord for
modem use, a couple of CDs (e.g., system install disks), and a few
other smaller knicknacks associated with the laptop. I do not plan to
carry an external keyboard, extra harddrive or diskette drive, and
other large gadgets.

Materials of construction: Leather and/or nylon will be considered. I
want the case to be padded to some extent to help protect the laptop,
but I don't necessarily require a hardcase. Extreme weatherproofing
(say for hiking in the backcountry) is not necessary, but should be
good for normal carrying in wet weather.

Carrying method: Don't know, but both a handle and shoulder strap will
be of interest. An option of carrying in "backpack mode" may also be
of interest.

Ideas anyone?

Thanks.

Mark
a b D Laptop
March 25, 2005 4:05:00 AM

Mark wrote:

> Notan wrote:
> >Mark wrote:
>
> >> I just ordered a Dell Inspiron 6000, and declined to purchase any of
> >> the offered carrying cases. I assume the laptop will not come with
> >> even a basic carrying case (don't see it mentioned.)
> >>
> >> So, what are considered the better or best carrying cases suitable for
> >> this laptop?
>
> > It all depends on what type of case you want... Handle? Room for
> > accessories? If so, how many accessories? Price? Etc., etc., etc.
>
> Good questions.
>
> I'm not exactly sure what I want yet, but have some general ideas
> from carrying around my antique Micron XPE for several years (using a
> Micron carrying case.)
>
> Maybe what I want now is a list of manufacturers noted for the quality
> and design of their laptop carrying cases, plus online resources which
> rate/discuss laptop carrying cases (I'm checking into Laptop Magazine
> now, but it does not appear its ratings of carrying cases are online
> -- Google is strangely not responding at the moment.)
>
> Some general reqs:
>
> Price, of course, is critical. I don't want to spend more than about
> $100, and preferably in the $50-70 range. (Hopefully I can get a
> significant discount from somewhere.)
>
> Accessories to carry: Besides the laptop (with a 15.4" screen), I will
> carry the power supply/cord (I assume it is typical size), a USB
> mouse, an ethernet-connect CAT5 cable (6' or so), a phone cord for
> modem use, a couple of CDs (e.g., system install disks), and a few
> other smaller knicknacks associated with the laptop. I do not plan to
> carry an external keyboard, extra harddrive or diskette drive, and
> other large gadgets.
>
> Materials of construction: Leather and/or nylon will be considered. I
> want the case to be padded to some extent to help protect the laptop,
> but I don't necessarily require a hardcase. Extreme weatherproofing
> (say for hiking in the backcountry) is not necessary, but should be
> good for normal carrying in wet weather.
>
> Carrying method: Don't know, but both a handle and shoulder strap will
> be of interest. An option of carrying in "backpack mode" may also be
> of interest.

One thing to decide on, before purchasing a carrying case, is whether
or not you'll also be using it as a briefcase. (i.e., Will you also
be carrying business papers, pens, pencils, etc., as this will dictate
how large of a case you'll need.)

As trivial as it sounds, the first thing I look for in *any* briefcase
is a comfortable handle. There's nothing worse than carrying a <fill-in-
the-blank> pound case, whose handle digs into your hand.

Your current price range is gonna force you to make some compromises.

Google "laptop cases" or have a look at some of the well known sites,
such as http://www.1800luggage.com.

Before you buy anything, be sure to try the case, first hand. No picture
or description is gonna tell you everything you want to know. Like many
things, laptop cases are very much a "personal preference" type of item.

Notan

If you're willing to spend (quite) a bit more, have a look at Brenthaven
cases (http://www.brenthaven.com). Nice stuff!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 25, 2005 4:19:42 AM

On 24 Mar 2005 in comp.sys.laptops, Mark wrote:

> Maybe what I want now is a list of manufacturers noted for the quality
> and design of their laptop carrying cases

http://www.toughtraveler.com/lug/brief.asp

at the very bottom of the page. It's at the high end of your price
range. However, it looks like it fits all your other criteria. I've had
one for about 10 years now; it's been through a pair of Thinkpads and
it's still going strong.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/

Mark <mark@nowhere.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just ordered a Dell Inspiron 6000, and declined to purchase any of
> the offered carrying cases. I assume the laptop will not come with
> even a basic carrying case (don't see it mentioned.)
>
> So, what are considered the better or best carrying cases suitable for
> this laptop?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mark

This is really outside of the range of your specifications, but I think
it's the most versatile solution around:

http://www.magellans.com/store/Luggage___Packing___Busi...

(Eagle Creek Laptop Cache)

I've got the version from several generations ago. It's pretty much
just a padded sleeve. Mine doesn't even have a strap. Anyway, I got it
because I was a student with an old and loyal backpack, but I wanted to
protect my laptop. Accessories and power adapters could fit in the other
pockets of my backpack. This sleeve can be used with pretty much any
regular briefcase, attache, duffel bag, carry-on, backpack, you name it.

It gives up a bit of the handiness of an all-in-one bag designed to carry
a laptop, but it's worth the versatility for me. The problem with buying
a "laptop bag" is that every time you want to take your laptop with you,
you pretty much have to bring your laptop bag. Not so great if that means
you end up carrying *another* bag to hold your other stuff because your
dedicated laptop bag won't fit the extra books/clothing/whatever. And if
you do get a laptop bag that is big enough to fit extra books/clothing/
whatever, you'll get tired of lugging the huge thing around when all you
want to bring with you is your laptop.

Of course, I'm coming at this from the point of view of someone whose
laptop isn't a part of his daily routine. If you commute with your
laptop every day, obviously it's probably a better choice to get a
dedicated bag that will do what you want it to do every day. If your
laptop sits on your desk most of the time, but occasionally you might
take it on a vacation in the car... on a business trip on an airplane...
to a coffee shop or the library... then I recommend the Eagle Creek
Laptop Cache.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 25, 2005 12:22:51 PM

Mark wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just ordered a Dell Inspiron 6000, and declined to purchase any of
> the offered carrying cases. I assume the laptop will not come with
> even a basic carrying case (don't see it mentioned.)
>
> So, what are considered the better or best carrying cases suitable for
> this laptop?

Figure out what is "goodness" to you. There's no "best" in that particular
game--for example a case that will allow the laptop to survive being driven
over by the armored personnel carrier out of the back of which it was just
tossed might be "best" if that is a normal part of your usage but might be
very inconvenient if the worst abuse your laptop is going to see is to be
placed carefully on the seat of a Lexus.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Hi, Targus, have a lifetime warranty,
http://www.targus.com/global/reseller.asp?countryid=75
ChrisC
"wbw" <wbwither@y-a-h-double-o.com> wrote in message
> Mark <mark@nowhere.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just ordered a Dell Inspiron 6000, and declined to purchase any of
>> the offered carrying cases. I assume the laptop will not come with
>> even a basic carrying case (don't see it mentioned.)
>>
>> So, what are considered the better or best carrying cases suitable for
>> this laptop?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Mark
>
> This is really outside of the range of your specifications, but I think
> it's the most versatile solution around:
>
> http://www.magellans.com/store/Luggage___Packing___Busi...
>
> (Eagle Creek Laptop Cache)
>
> I've got the version from several generations ago. It's pretty much
> just a padded sleeve. Mine doesn't even have a strap. Anyway, I got it
> because I was a student with an old and loyal backpack, but I wanted to
> protect my laptop. Accessories and power adapters could fit in the other
> pockets of my backpack. This sleeve can be used with pretty much any
> regular briefcase, attache, duffel bag, carry-on, backpack, you name it.
>
> It gives up a bit of the handiness of an all-in-one bag designed to carry
> a laptop, but it's worth the versatility for me. The problem with buying
> a "laptop bag" is that every time you want to take your laptop with you,
> you pretty much have to bring your laptop bag. Not so great if that means
> you end up carrying *another* bag to hold your other stuff because your
> dedicated laptop bag won't fit the extra books/clothing/whatever. And if
> you do get a laptop bag that is big enough to fit extra books/clothing/
> whatever, you'll get tired of lugging the huge thing around when all you
> want to bring with you is your laptop.
>
> Of course, I'm coming at this from the point of view of someone whose
> laptop isn't a part of his daily routine. If you commute with your
> laptop every day, obviously it's probably a better choice to get a
> dedicated bag that will do what you want it to do every day. If your
> laptop sits on your desk most of the time, but occasionally you might
> take it on a vacation in the car... on a business trip on an airplane...
> to a coffee shop or the library... then I recommend the Eagle Creek
> Laptop Cache.
March 25, 2005 1:33:44 PM

Walmart 19 bucks
"Mark" <mark@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I just ordered a Dell Inspiron 6000, and declined to purchase any of
> the offered carrying cases. I assume the laptop will not come with
> even a basic carrying case (don't see it mentioned.)
>
> So, what are considered the better or best carrying cases suitable for
> this laptop?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mark
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
March 26, 2005 5:13:03 PM

It's out of your price range by about 50 bucks, but the Travelpro Computer
Rolling Tote is the best all-purpose solution I've ever seen. Although I
never would have selected this case myself, my wife bought me one for
Christmas. It is total overkill...and now I'm hopelessly addicted to it!

Very sturdy. Summary of features: It's got rollers, a collapsable handle, a
suitcase-type handle, a shoulder strap, a removable case within the main
unit for the computer itself, and enormous pockets.

Here's a link to what it looks like:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=200292646&Sea...

I'm not sure where my wife picked up mine, but I'll bet you can get it for a
good bit less than $150 if you look around. Although it was a gift, having
used it for several months, the convenience of it more than makes up for the
price.
December 29, 2011 7:11:20 AM

You ca get so many options cheap laptops, best buy laptops from online stores
December 30, 2011 5:46:06 PM

mark said:

Hello,

I just ordered a Dell Inspiron 6000, and declined to purchase any of
the offered carrying cases. I assume the laptop will not come with
even a basic carrying case (don't see it mentioned.)

So, what are considered the better or best carrying cases suitable for
this laptop?

Thanks!

Mark

I don't know if it will fit your needs but I've had really good luck with my Swissgear backpack. It's well built, has a lot of pockets with a pass thru for your earbuds, good straps for the back and 2 different hand carries, one with plastic coated steel cable. I use it for my laptop and carry-on bag for flights. Best Buy wanted $99 but i got it through Dell for $49.
a c 572 D Laptop
December 30, 2011 5:48:19 PM

Mark wrote that almost seven years ago.
!