best low end software

Status
Not open for further replies.

What would be the best low-end software for a newbie? I've tried Picasa,
HP's, and Microsoft's and none offer quite what I want, which is a tad more
manipulation of color and special effects. But I don't want to spend $500 on
Adobe Photoshop either (plus I don't have time to learn the thing).

"Ingram" <jlloyd4@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
> What would be the best low-end software for a newbie? I've tried Picasa,
> HP's, and Microsoft's and none offer quite what I want, which is a tad
> more manipulation of color and special effects. But I don't want to spend
> $500 on Adobe Photoshop either (plus I don't have time to learn the
> thing).

Try Photoshop Elements. You can download a trial version from Adobe's
website.

Rob

> What would be the best low-end software for a newbie? I've tried Picasa,
> HP's, and Microsoft's and none offer quite what I want, which is a tad
more
> manipulation of color and special effects. But I don't want to spend $500
on
> Adobe Photoshop either (plus I don't have time to learn the thing).

Have you looked at the Gimp?

http://www.gimp.org/

steve

oink

Distinguished
May 26, 2004

I have Elements2 and Paintshop9. I prefer Paintshop for it's superior
auto-fix abilities when I'm in a hurry, and I think it's a more
intuitive program. I have not seen Elements3 however,
DonB

Ingram wrote:
> What would be the best low-end software for a newbie? I've tried Picasa,
> HP's, and Microsoft's and none offer quite what I want, which is a tad more
> manipulation of color and special effects. But I don't want to spend $500 on
> Adobe Photoshop either (plus I don't have time to learn the thing).

I wouldn't call it 'low end', but check out Photoshop Elements 3.0. It
has most of the editing ability of the Photoshop CS package, and an
organizer. You can get it for as little as $50.
There is a trial version available at Adobe.com

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

oink@woosh.co.nz wrote:
> I have Elements2 and Paintshop9. I prefer Paintshop for it's superior
> auto-fix abilities when I'm in a hurry, and I think it's a more
> intuitive program. I have not seen Elements3 however,
> DonB

PSE3 has added a very good auto smartfix, and a quickfix that has most
of the most frequently used editing functions right at hand, and if that
isn't enough for you, then the main editing window provides about 90% of
the function of the Photoshop CS package that costs several times more.
It also has a really nice 'spot healing brush', and a divide and
straighten function for taking apart a scan of several pictures into
individual files. Those features, alone, sold me on the program.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

Photoshop Elements 3.0. It also has Adobe PhotoAblum built in. It also
has many automatic features as well as more advanced features to grow
with and it under $100.

Ingram wrote:

>What would be the best low-end software for a newbie? I've tried Picasa,
>HP's, and Microsoft's and none offer quite what I want, which is a tad more
>manipulation of color and special effects. But I don't want to spend $500 on
>Adobe Photoshop either (plus I don't have time to learn the thing).

Check out Picture Window and see if it interests you.

PSsquare

"Ingram" <jlloyd4@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
> What would be the best low-end software for a newbie? I've tried Picasa,
> HP's, and Microsoft's and none offer quite what I want, which is a tad
more
> manipulation of color and special effects. But I don't want to spend $500
on
> Adobe Photoshop either (plus I don't have time to learn the thing).

"Ingram" <jlloyd4@nycap.rr.com> wrote in

> What would be the best low-end software for a newbie? I've tried
> Picasa, HP's, and Microsoft's and none offer quite what I want, which
> is a tad more manipulation of color and special effects. But I don't
> want to spend $500 on Adobe Photoshop either (plus I don't have time
> to learn the thing).

Do you have a high end camera with RAW output, i.e. output with
more than 8 bits per color?

In that case, I think your software shall support 16 bit editing.
Latest Photoshop Elements might be a choice.

/Roland

"Steve Wolfe" <unt@codon.com> wrote in news:36fgd2F52ecetU1@individual.net:

>> Adobe Photoshop either (plus I don't have time to learn the thing).
>
> Have you looked at the Gimp?

Gimp is not easier than Photoshop. It is free though - and it is good.
But it is only 8 bits per color and no color management.

/Roland

Check out Picture Window and Picture Window Pro
http://www.dl-c.com/Temp/

Or Corel's Paintshop Pro
http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Corel2/Products/Home&pid=10
47023911984

or even Serif's PhotoPlus
http://www.serif.com/photoplus/photoplus9/index.asp

Other people have recommended Adobe PhotoShop Elements ... it is also a
good program.

Other people have recommended 'The GIMP' ... it is also a good program ...
but you would be best advised to be a (at least) budding programmer
wanna-bee to get along with it's idiosyncrassies.
..

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 20:11:20 GMT, "Ingram" <jlloyd4@nycap.rr.com>
wrote:

>What would be the best low-end software for a newbie? I've tried Picasa,
>HP's, and Microsoft's and none offer quite what I want, which is a tad more
>manipulation of color and special effects. But I don't want to spend $500 on
>Adobe Photoshop either (plus I don't have time to learn the thing).

Try Photofiltre - It's free.

HTH
Bill

"Ingram" <jlloyd4@nycap.rr.com> writes:

> What would be the best low-end software for a newbie? I've tried Picasa,
> HP's, and Microsoft's and none offer quite what I want, which is a tad more
> manipulation of color and special effects. But I don't want to spend $500 on
> Adobe Photoshop either (plus I don't have time to learn the thing).

Perhaps GIMP (Gnu Image Manipulation Program) is to your taste? It is free
both in terms of cost and in terms of having the source code available so that
if you are so inclined (and computer knowledgable) you can extend it if
desired. Look at http://www.gimp.org.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org

Michael Meissner wrote:
> "Ingram" <jlloyd4@nycap.rr.com> writes:
>

>>What would be the best low-end software for a newbie? I've tried Picasa,
>>HP's, and Microsoft's and none offer quite what I want, which is a tad more
>>manipulation of color and special effects. But I don't want to spend $500 on
>>Adobe Photoshop either (plus I don't have time to learn the thing).
>

> Perhaps GIMP (Gnu Image Manipulation Program) is to your taste? It is free
> both in terms of cost and in terms of having the source code available so that
> if you are so inclined (and computer knowledgable) you can extend it if
> desired. Look at http://www.gimp.org.

The GIMP's a very workable programme. However, it has a fairly high
learning requirement. It's a programme not made on Windows, so it has
some odd habits.

Ingram wrote:

> What would be the best low-end software for a newbie? I've tried Picasa,
> HP's, and Microsoft's and none offer quite what I want, which is a tad more
> manipulation of color and special effects. But I don't want to spend $500 on
> Adobe Photoshop either (plus I don't have time to learn the thing).

Try Paint Shop Pro. In addition to being feature-rich, it has an
excellent manual, thick and well-written, in my opinion.

Nobody mentioned Photo Impact from Ulead.

I use this for most of my work (old photo restoration) - easy to use and
very capable. I also have Photoshop and Photo Paint.

I have used a few others but come back to Photo Impact.

Allan

"Ingram" <jlloyd4@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
> What would be the best low-end software for a newbie? I've tried Picasa,
> HP's, and Microsoft's and none offer quite what I want, which is a tad
more
> manipulation of color and special effects. But I don't want to spend $500
on
> Adobe Photoshop either (plus I don't have time to learn the thing).

oink

Distinguished
May 26, 2004

The Gimp is a beautiful thing when you get it working, but it took me 6
months to even get it onto my pc. Mind you, I'm of less than average
computer intelligence.
DonB

On 3 Feb 2005 12:19:02 -0800, "Dave" <webkatz@gmail.com> wrote:

>Irfanview - free (as in beer)
>Photoshop Elements 3 - under $100 new
>Paint Shop Pro - under $100 new

On eBay... Paint Shop Pro may be under $50 new and unregistered.

Cynthia

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 19:02:36 -0600, Ron Hunter <rphunter@charter.net>
wrote:

>oink@woosh.co.nz wrote:
>> I have Elements2 and Paintshop9. I prefer Paintshop for it's superior
>> auto-fix abilities when I'm in a hurry, and I think it's a more
>> intuitive program. I have not seen Elements3 however,
>> DonB
>>
>PSE3 has added a very good auto smartfix, and a quickfix that has most
>of the most frequently used editing functions right at hand, and if that
>isn't enough for you, then the main editing window provides about 90% of
>the function of the Photoshop CS package that costs several times more.
>It also has a really nice 'spot healing brush', and a divide and
>straighten function for taking apart a scan of several pictures into
>individual files. Those features, alone, sold me on the program.

Cheers for that spot healing brush! I just love that tool!

I have an older version of full Photoshop, and while there are some
things I can do there that I can't in Elements, Elements3 does provide
most of the functionality. And what it doesn't provide, I've usually
been able to come up with work arounds for.

I also think it is a bit inherently "friendlier", though that may just
be because I'm already familiar with Photoshop.

It's a good package for the price!

Cynthia

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 23:32:41 -0600, Cynthia P <graycyn@netzero.net>
wrote:

>On 3 Feb 2005 12:19:02 -0800, "Dave" <webkatz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Irfanview - free (as in beer)
>>Photoshop Elements 3 - under $100 new
>>Paint Shop Pro - under $100 new
>
>On eBay... Paint Shop Pro may be under $50 new and unregistered.
>
>Cynthia

Being lucky enough to live near a Fry's Electronics, it sometimes goes
way under that; Before 9 came out, 8 sometimes sold for only the tax,
after rebate.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

"Big Bill" <bill@pipping.com> wrote in message

> Being lucky enough to live near a Fry's Electronics, it sometimes goes
> way under that; Before 9 came out, 8 sometimes sold for only the tax,
> after rebate.
>
> --
> Bill Funk
> Change "g" to "a"

FWIW:
For those that are not "lucky enough" ...

www.outpost.com