Your question

Windows XP Reinstall New Mother Board Partition Drive Win 7

Last response: in Motherboards
January 20, 2012 6:44:17 PM

Hi Guys,

Not sure what my options are but...

1. My mother board blew.
2. I got a new windows 7 computer
3. put my old hard drive into the win 7 computer to get the files (which probably created an extended windows 7 format or something
4. got my new mother board and hook old computer back up.

Right now I have a valid windows XP Key, and the original pre service pack 1 CD somewhere.

When I boot the computer it goes to bios saying "intruder" I believe this was caused by me hooking the drive up to the windows 7 computer.

Is there a way to re-install windows on a different hard drive with this old disk?

Am I better off trying to partition the drive somehow to get the original configuration?

Can I just re-install Windows XP through the disk drive somehow? How complicated is a fresh installation on a new HD? Can it be done this way with this ancient disk?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I don't know if downloading a copy online would make sense, since I am worried it may have some sort of virus or something. For the price to get a pro to install XP, I may be better off just upgrading to Windows 7 or 8 (depending how easy these are to install from fresh)

Also, Im thinking now may be a good time to try out linux, since this will be an extra computer now anyway (unless someone knows how to get my old configuration back?)

Thanks in advance!

:hello: 

a c 223 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
January 20, 2012 7:25:37 PM

What's the make and model of your new replacement motherboard?

There's probably a BIOS setting that you can change to disable the chassis intrusion detection.

You can attempt a Windows XP Repair Install that essentially re-installs Windows XP and leaves all of the currently installed applications and customizations untouched.
m
l
January 20, 2012 7:40:17 PM

ko888 said:
What's the make and model of your new replacement motherboard?

There's probably a BIOS setting that you can change to disable the chassis intrusion detection.

You can attempt a Windows XP Repair Install that essentially re-installs Windows XP and leaves all of the currently installed applications and customizations untouched.

I don't think there is a setting for this. I spoke with ASUS and they just kept saying it needed to be reinstalled. (of course they didn't seem very helpful though)

The motherboard is a Asus A8n SLI. How do I do an XP Repair Install? Do I need a disk?

Thanks
m
l
a c 223 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
January 20, 2012 8:04:28 PM

Make sure this jumper is on the right pins.

Chassis intrusion connector (4-1 pin CHASSIS)

This connector is for a chassis-mounted intrusion detection sensor or switch. Connect one end of the chassis intrusion sensor or switch cable to this connector. The chassis intrusion sensor or switch sends a high-level signal to this connector when a chassis component is removed or replaced. The signal is then generated as a chassis intrusion event.

By default, the pins labeled “Chassis Signal” and “Ground” are shorted with a jumper cap. Remove the jumper caps only when you intend to use the chassis intrusion detection feature.

If you have Internet Explorer 7 or later installed in Windows XP you will need to uninstall that Internet Explorer version before running the Repair Install process.

The Windows XP Repair Install process is done using the Windows XP installation CD.

How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978788
m
l
Related resources
!