Issue with motherboard

katazuki

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Okay so guys,

This is my first build and I am having issues with what I presume is a motherboard issue and none of my friends can seem to call anything up, nor does google.

First off specs,

Motherboard: GA-Z68AP-D3

GFX Card: Asus 1GB GeForce GTX 560TI DirectCUII PCI-E

CPU: Intel Sandybridge i5-2500 Core i5 Quad-Core Processor (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache, Socket 1155)

Power: OCZ-ZS650W-UK OCZ ZS Series 650W Power Supply 80+ Plus Bronze

HDD: Samsung Spinpoint HD753LJ 750 GB F1 DT Desktop Class Hard Drive

Okay so basically, my issue is -

I start up the PC and it runs for roughly 20 seconds, the monitor doesn't get any signal from the PC and then it turns off after roughly 20 seconds.

Things I have tried so far:

• [li]Swapping around RAM sticks.[/li]
    [li]Unplugging everything apart from CPU, power & Motherboard[/li]
    [li]Taking GFX card out and letting it run off CPU's[/li]

All of the cables are plugged in correctly as far as I can see.
I tried using the speaker and it bleeps a long(ish) beep over and over, link to sound recording: http://www.mediafire.com/?mjz35tqukuxqmqx

I am compeltely stumped as too what I should do, I hope someone can help me out.

tlmck

Distinguished
From Section 5-3-1 of the Gigabyte manual.

Q: What do the beeps emitted during the POST mean?
A: The following Award BIOS beep code descriptions may help you identify possible computer problems. (For reference only.)
1 short: System boots successfully
2 short: CMOS setting error
1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error
1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error
Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly
Continuous short beeps: Power error

katazuki

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport - Memory - 12 GB : 3 x 4 GB - DIMM 240-pin - DDR3 - 1600 MHz / PC3-12800 - CL10 - 1.5 V - unbuffered - non-ECC

and it's not PSU, I don't think since it's long beeps which manual say is GFX error, same happens when I remove GFX card and use one on CPU

katazuki

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
I have tried this :( does not work and in reply to tlmck, I can't breadboard right now due to lack of a screwdriver at this moment :p

katazuki

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Okay so I have reset the CMOS and taken out the GPU and put in a single stick of RAM and now the computer boots for literally about a second and then turns off, any idea what could be happening now?

larkspur

Distinguished

So it "boots" for a second? Meaning it displays a screen, spins fans, makes noises, which? Does it still POST with the beeps?

It sounds like you need to yank the motherboard and breadboard it like others have suggested above. It just might turn out that your motherboard is bad. But you need to follow the steps outlined in the guide. It would also help to be able to test your PSU. Do you have access to another PSU?

TRENDING THREADS