Components needed:

1. Motherboard
2. CPU
3. Memory
4. GFX

Purpose: Gaming

Overclocking: No (maybe the GFX)

Price: Max. $1000

Already have: A 750 watt PSU and a Lian Li medi tower case. A 1920x1200 monitor.

I have never overclocked my current system, so I don't think I will overclock the new system either.

I have read numerous reviews and articles, and I see very little difference in gaming performance between for example:

• i5-2400, i5-2500 and i7-2600 (both stock and overclocked)
• 1333 and 1600 memory
• H67 and P67

So, does it matter a lot, which of these components I choose? Please keep in mind that I'm probably not going to overclock the system in any way.

Am I very wrong if I think that the GFX, when the above components are used, is the deciding factor in relation to performance?

I have of course considered overclocking, but apart from the GFX, I haven't really been able to find big gaming performance gains from overclocking any other components - is that wrong?

Based on the fact that I'm not going to overclock (unless I'm convinced otherwise in this thread), I have considered the following (based on availability where I live):

1. Gigabyte GA-H67M-D2 S-1155 (I know it's a micro-ATX, but does it matter? I think i fits in my Lian Li case)
2. i5-2400
3. 4 gb 1600 Kingston HyperX CL9 (I know the motherboard only supports 1333, but it is a matter of availability)
4. Radeon 6950 2gb (Mod to 6970), Nvidia 560-Ti or Nvidia GTX 460.

Please come with suggestions and reasons! :) 

More about : gaming 1000 motherboard cpu memory gfx

February 18, 2011 9:31:13 PM

Btw, my old GFX is broken, so I consider buying the new stuff tomorrow - which is in about 9 hours Danish time ;)  Please help! :) 
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 166 K Overclocking
February 18, 2011 10:48:19 PM

Well if ya read how easy it is to OC the 2600k, I don't think I will have to convince you. Some games are GFX limited, soem are CPU limited, with no real downside, I would OC t0 4.6 GHz

http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-sabertooth-p67-tuf-r...

The generic overclock procedure is as follows:

1. Leave baseclock for what it is right now
2. If optional in the BIOS, increase the TDP limit of your processor to 200 Watts
3. With a 2600K set your base multiplier at 34
4. And now set the per core multiplier at a maximum of your liking, we applied an MP of 46 on all four cores
5. Increase CPU voltage, though setting AUTO might work fine, we applied 1.35V
6. Make sure your processor is properly cooled (we used the stock Intel cooler and forced the fan to 70% RPM)
7. Save and Exit BIOS / UEFI

Asus Sabertooth TUF w/ 5 year warranty
i7-2600k

And no, I wouldn't use micro-ATX ....

Both can be had in a combo for about $490

Your spending $250 for the GFX card...so that leaves $260 for RAM.

In that case, no need to scrimp. Mushkin CAS 7 DDR3-1600 $155
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You have $105 left for cooling if ya wanna go further on the OC.

Related resources
February 18, 2011 11:31:13 PM

Quote:
Well if ya read how easy it is to OC the 2600k, I don't think I will have to convince you. Some games are GFX limited, soem are CPU limited, with no real downside, I would OC t0 4.6 GHz

http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus [...] -review/10

Thanks, yeah, it looks very easy.

I'm just looking at the three games in the Guru3d-article. In one of them, Bad Company 2, there's no difference between the i7-2600k stock cpu and the 4,6ghz overclocked cpu, and in the two other games the performance boost seems minimal. So, I'm not really convinced. ;) 

To me, when it's all about gaming, I'm still not convinced why I should consider overclocking or buy anything bigger than i5-2500k. This article doesn't convince me any further: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-cor...

When I'm not into overclocking, wouldn't it just make most sence to go with i5-2500 (based on the articles above), a cheap P67-motherboard, a good amount of memory and then spend most money on a kick-ass video card?
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
a b K Overclocking
February 19, 2011 3:20:11 AM

Check out my 1K build that'd give you lots of head room with the 6950 1gb or the 560 Ti
In my siggy
!