Should a card format take this long?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
February 3, 2005 11:39:30 PM

Hi, I have a Casio Exilim S100, as my pocket camera. Using a previous 256mb
SD card, the camera would complete a format in 3 or 4 seconds (and still
does), similar to other camera's owned. I just today received two 1Gb PQI
SD cards from an eBay vendor, which are supposedly high-speed too, and a
Format of each repeatedly takes around two and a half minutes. Is this
"usual", and should I be concerned ?
ps. The cards themselves came "loose" just in the plastic/hinged small
"covers", rather than in that within sealed/retail packs, which I found
surprising and am querying, but trust is of no consequence to this.

Neil

More about : card format long

Anonymous
February 4, 2005 1:57:28 AM

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 20:39:30 -0000, "Neil" <n@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi, I have a Casio Exilim S100, as my pocket camera. Using a previous 256mb
>SD card, the camera would complete a format in 3 or 4 seconds (and still
>does), similar to other camera's owned. I just today received two 1Gb PQI
>SD cards from an eBay vendor, which are supposedly high-speed too, and a
>Format of each repeatedly takes around two and a half minutes. Is this
>"usual", and should I be concerned ?
>ps. The cards themselves came "loose" just in the plastic/hinged small
>"covers", rather than in that within sealed/retail packs, which I found
>surprising and am querying, but trust is of no consequence to this.
>
>Neil

I don't know your camera, but this seems a tad long to me. I would
expect 20 seconds max.
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 2:53:28 AM

"Neil" <n@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:36fgg2F528th6U1@individual.net...
> Hi, I have a Casio Exilim S100, as my pocket camera. Using a previous 256mb SD card,
> the camera would complete a format in 3 or 4 seconds (and still does), similar to other
> camera's owned. I just today received two 1Gb PQI SD cards from an eBay vendor, which
> are supposedly high-speed too, and a Format of each repeatedly takes around two and a
> half minutes. Is this "usual", and should I be concerned ?
> ps. The cards themselves came "loose" just in the plastic/hinged small "covers", rather
> than in that within sealed/retail packs, which I found surprising and am querying, but
> trust is of no consequence to this.
>
> Neil

It shouldn't take anywhere near that long.
Even my old 1GB midro-drives format in about 3-4 seconds in my 10D.
Related resources
February 4, 2005 1:40:01 PM

Neil wrote:
> Hi, I have a Casio Exilim S100, as my pocket camera. Using a previous 256mb
> SD card, the camera would complete a format in 3 or 4 seconds (and still
> does), similar to other camera's owned. I just today received two 1Gb PQI
> SD cards from an eBay vendor, which are supposedly high-speed too, and a
> Format of each repeatedly takes around two and a half minutes. Is this
> "usual", and should I be concerned ?
> ps. The cards themselves came "loose" just in the plastic/hinged small
> "covers", rather than in that within sealed/retail packs, which I found
> surprising and am querying, but trust is of no consequence to this.
>
> Neil

A fast format may only erase the FAT (file allocation table), and shouldn't take that long. The cards may have been used,
not new. When you buy on Ebay, you often have no idea of who you are buying from. Caveat emptor.
February 4, 2005 9:11:52 PM

> A fast format may only erase the FAT (file allocation table), and
> shouldn't take that long. The cards may have been used, not new. When you
> buy on Ebay, you often have no idea of who you are buying from. Caveat
> emptor.

True. But previous experiences with others - carefully selected - had been
OK, and the seller had thousands of positive feedback reviews, and stood at
99.9% positive. Yet the product was not sealed/retail.

I rung Casio to ask about this format question, and they were hopeless.
Would not comment on anything other than for Panasonic SD cards, and 512mb
max at that.

Neil
February 4, 2005 9:11:53 PM

In article <36hs7hF52jmeiU1@individual.net>, n@hotmail.com says...
> > A fast format may only erase the FAT (file allocation table), and
> > shouldn't take that long. The cards may have been used, not new. When you
> > buy on Ebay, you often have no idea of who you are buying from. Caveat
> > emptor.
>
> True. But previous experiences with others - carefully selected - had been
> OK, and the seller had thousands of positive feedback reviews, and stood at
> 99.9% positive. Yet the product was not sealed/retail.
>
> I rung Casio to ask about this format question, and they were hopeless.
> Would not comment on anything other than for Panasonic SD cards, and 512mb
> max at that.
>
> Neil

The fact that Casio wouldn't/couldn't answer about anything larger than 512mg
should answer your question.

The cameras firmware probably isnt designed to handle anything bigger, and if
thats the case, you are lucky it formats the card at all, let alone doing it
slowly.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 10:40:01 -0500, Marvin <physchemNOSPAM@cloud9.net>
wrote:

>A fast format may only erase the FAT (file allocation table), and shouldn't take that long. The cards may have been used,
>not new. When you buy on Ebay, you often have no idea of who you are buying from. Caveat emptor.

I am confused. How does a card being used account for a format of 2
minutes or more? Every card is used after the first image is saved,
some of my cards have been used hundreds of times over with no
noticeable loss of speed. I do not know what the OPs problem is caused
by, but I do not think a used card would cause this.
!