What is the best way to remove a heatsink?

vivski

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
Is it best to wait for the computer to cool down and remove the heatsink from the CPU when it is cold, or do it just after switching off the computer so that the thermal paste is warm/hot?
In other words, is the heatsink likely to stick to the CPU when the paste is cold and result in damage to the CPU?
Viv

Solution
The security latch is under the heatsink in most instances, and can not be acccessed.

Best method to remove a heatsink from CPU.
Get everything ready first.
Turn on computer. Run Prime 95 for 15 minutes to heat up cpu and heatsink.
Shut down computer.
Remove latches,pushpins etc...
Gently grasp top of heatsink and gently twist clockwise, then counterclockwise a few degrees a few times. This will break the TIM bond between hheatsink and cpu.
Now lift heatsink off of CPU.
The heatsink is never gonna stick to the CPU unless one has used some super glue by accident.. But yeah, it is not a bad ploy to let it cool down after a strenuous session.. Easier to take it off then (no accidental self burning chances)..

vivski

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010

Thanks, I have a faint memory of destroying a CPU and mobo many years ago when I removed the heatsink. Let's hope the same thing does not happen.

Viv

vivski

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010

Yes, that is my fear.

Viv

Well it can get stuck but not for eternity.. Sometimes one can slide the processor out also.. Motherboards have a processor securing latch.. So if one tries to remove a stuck heatsink with the secure latch on then it may cause problems and in some cases might even cause damage to the motherboard..

vivski

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010

Thanks, is it possible to move the securing latch with the heatsink attached?

Viv

The security latch is under the heatsink in most instances, and can not be acccessed.

Best method to remove a heatsink from CPU.
Get everything ready first.
Turn on computer. Run Prime 95 for 15 minutes to heat up cpu and heatsink.
Shut down computer.
Remove latches,pushpins etc...
Gently grasp top of heatsink and gently twist clockwise, then counterclockwise a few degrees a few times. This will break the TIM bond between hheatsink and cpu.
Now lift heatsink off of CPU.

Solution
Pretty difficult with the Intel processors.

I disagree with Emperus. I think it is better to try to remove the heatsink from a warm CPU. The heat should soften the thermal compound. Then I apply a slight twisting motion. I have never had any difficulty removing a heatsink.

If the system doesn't work, I still use the twisting motion.

vivski

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010

That sounds like the best way to do it, and that is what I will try. Thanks.

Viv

vivski

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010

Thanks very much. I will do that.

Viv