Why does my p8z68 deluxe only see 4 of my 5 drives

Hfinkle

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
yes... and the 3g (blue) see my DVD and Blue ray... but do not see the 5th drive... witch is 3 gig... when I move it to an other port it is seen... so its not a drive problem... I just only can get it to see 4 drives... it is suppose to see up to six..

thanks for your quick reply

H Finkle.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I recently had a similar situation that might pertain to your problem. I have a Gigabyte Z68 board that has 6 onboard (Intel) ports and 2 Marvel ports. My optical drive wouldn't be recognized for booting when plugged into the Intel ports because the Intel ports were set to ACHI mode due to wanting to gain the best speed from my SSD. The fix was to set the Marvel ports to IDE and plug the optical drive into one of them.

Hfinkle

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
thanks for the info... but I need the four 6g ( two intel and two Marvel) the rest of the intel can be used at 3 g, the Marvel are the main drive in the servers with SSD drives attached...

H Finkle

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
OK. I see. But I was always under the assumption that a SSD should not be used with the Marvel ports due to lack ofTRIM (among other things). I'm not an expert on this, because I just recently dove into the world of SSDs. I realize this is off topic from your problem, but check out this post if you want more info.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-guide-optimization-for-ssds-hdds

Scroll down to "The Checklist:" paragraph, point 7

Back to your issue... are both the working port and the non-working port set the same? i.e ACHI or IDE?