Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GTX 460 problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 17, 2010 6:42:39 PM

Please help me..I have just bought an nvidia gtx 460 1gb ddr5 card and I plugged it into my pc but when I connect my monitor (which has a blue cable) into a white,wider one and then to the VGA the monitor does nothing..it stays all black..when I unplug the monitor and plug it into the mainboard the monitor works properly...if I go under the graphic card tab in my control panel it shows the graphic card as installed but if I download the drivers from nvidia website it says I dont have the required hardware..im confused..I have a core2quad Q9300,gtx 460 1gb ddr5 and 8 gb ddr2 memory and im using win7 ultimate 64 bit...if anyone manages to help me out id be very gladly..sorry for my bad english but im italian :)  and thanks for the help

More about : gtx 460 problem

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 17, 2010 7:41:45 PM

Did you plug the 6-pin power connector to the card?

You're using the DVI --> VGA adapter that came with the card right
m
l
Related resources
December 17, 2010 7:50:02 PM

wiinippongamer said:
Did you plug the 6-pin power connector to the card?

You're using the DVI --> VGA adapter that came with the card right

hello...yes I am using the adapter that came with the card and yes I plugged the 6-pin power connector...the fact is that I have 2 6-pin connectors slots into the card...I tryed em both...also I have 2 dvi slots behind the card and yet again I tryed both...nothing works...thanks for quick asnwer
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 17, 2010 7:53:05 PM

BOTH 6-pin power slots on the card need to be plugged into the PSU, you can't "choose" which one to use, if you PSU only has 1 6-pin connector the use the 2xMolex --> 6-pin adapter that should have came with the card also.

What is your PSU by the way?
m
l
a c 540 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 17, 2010 7:53:31 PM

What is the make and model of the motherboard or system?
m
l
December 17, 2010 7:56:19 PM

ko888 said:
What is the make and model of the motherboard or system?

Excuse me but im noob at this...how do I find it out?
m
l
December 17, 2010 7:59:02 PM

wiinippongamer said:
BOTH 6-pin power slots on the card need to be plugged into the PSU, you can't "choose" which one to use, if you PSU only has 1 6-pin connector the use the 2xMolex --> 6-pin adapter that should have came with the card also.

What is your PSU by the way?

How do I recognize what my PSU is?

btw I have only one of those little black thing with 6 pins inside it..it came out with the card but on the card there are 2 slots for them...im confused...shouldnt they give me 2 of those if there are meant to be put 2 for it to work properly? =/ thanks again for the quick reply and sorry for my noob-being
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 17, 2010 8:05:33 PM

Open the case and look at the sticker on the PSU which is usually placed on the side of it.

Dude you can't just grab whatever card you find and expect it to work seamlessly on your system, if the psu is generic and less than 500w then forget about running the gtx460 at all, an start thinking about returning it.

If the psu doesn't have a 6-pin connector then you'll just have to buy another adapter like the one that came with the card, they're pretty cheap anyway.
m
l
December 17, 2010 8:10:28 PM

wiinippongamer said:
Open the case and look at the sticker on the PSU which is usually placed on the side of it.

Dude you can't just grab whatever card you find and expect it to work seamlessly on your system, if the psu is generic and less than 500w then forget about running the gtx460 at all, an start thinking about returning it.

If the psu doesn't have a 6-pin connector then you'll just have to buy another adapter like the one that came with the card, they're pretty cheap anyway.

"Model N. PS-5301-08HF DC OUTPUT: 300W" is that it ? so theres nothing I can do to use this card? =/ how much would a better PSU cost?...im confused =/
m
l
December 17, 2010 8:14:54 PM

BTW when the card is connected even if theres no cable attached to it theres a sound of cooler like its working and in fact the cooler moves..its strange =/
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 17, 2010 8:16:49 PM

There's nothing you can do about it with that PSU.

Any quality 550w PSU from either Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, PCP&C, OCZ, XFX, Cooler Master, XCLIO and a few others will suffice, no idea for the pricing on italy.

Just avoid cheapo brands like Topower, they're cheaper for a reason
December 17, 2010 8:20:24 PM

wiinippongamer said:
There's nothing you can do about it with that PSU.

Any quality 550w PSU from either Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, PCP&C, OCZ, XFX, Cooler Master, XCLIO and a few others will suffice, no idea for the pricing on italy.

Just avoid cheapo brands like Topower, they're cheaper for a reason

well mate thanks for the help...I saw a few of them around 10/20 euros so it wont be an impossible price to pay...thanks a lot again and ill choose u as best answer...hope u the best of all...ill bring the pc to a technician tomorrow and will pay him for everything to make it work properly with this VGA...have a nice day :) 
m
l
December 17, 2010 8:21:22 PM

Best answer selected by helpme24.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 17, 2010 8:29:16 PM

Instead of paying a technician you could put that money into a good quality PSU.

10/20 euro seems cheap, remember the most important of all is to AVOID CHEAPO BRANDS, you're not only risking that the card may not work, but that it could go up in smoke due to an overload because of poorly constructed parts and take your whole system with it.

This is what you need to look for before buying it:

_ At least 550w

_ At least 40A combined on the 12v rail(s)

_ Active PFC

_ 80 PLUS certified

_ Make sure it has all the connectors you'll need, including the 2 6-pin PCIE
m
l
a c 540 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 17, 2010 8:33:58 PM

Only 19 Amps on the +12 Volt rail.

The GeForce GTX 460 will draw a maximum of 13.3 Amps from the +12 Volt rail leaving insufficient current capacity to power the rest of the computer system.

It's a standard ATX form factor power supply unit so you have a wide selection to choose from.
m
l
!