Sign in with
Your question

Frezing Pc

Last response: in Motherboards
January 21, 2012 2:44:15 AM

My Computer freezes up when booting, I select start normally, but it itself goes to System Reoair on vista and about 30 seconds later it freezes. then i have to turn it off manually, But the last 2 months, While i was using it it would freeze, then i`d manually reboot it with cutting the power, Now - it wont even reboot if freezes in system repair.

Do you guys think its the hard drive or Motherboard? I tried rebooting with the PCI graphics card, it freezes, with the on bpard built in graphics, it just goes to a blurry blue screen that is not even readible or viewable.

any advice is appreciated

More about : frezing

a c 125 V Motherboard
January 21, 2012 3:15:56 AM

Could be either memory or the power supply.
m
l
a c 82 V Motherboard
January 21, 2012 6:29:22 AM

When it freezes, do you see the IDE LED being on continuously?
If that is the case, it could be a faulty HDD, SATA Cable or Dying HDD.

What is worrying is the Not Legible Blue Screen, that could be an indication of a dying IGP Chip, that would also explain the random freezing. Suggestion, is if you have a GPU to spare and that is compatible with the Mobo, put it in and give it a try.
m
l
Related resources
a c 82 V Motherboard
January 21, 2012 6:33:30 AM

Ok, what PCI GPU did you use? And how did you go about it? I mean did a screen show up when you inserted a PCI GPU? where was the Monitor connected at that time?
m
l
January 22, 2012 2:11:08 AM

altoshka,
Led light stays on as you asked YES it does.
So it must be the hard disk. I`ll just buy one from Best Buy and install windows over it see if it fails again, I`ll have to replace the motherboard which is too sad.

What PCI GPU did I use? is
there is 1 available for my PNY graphics card, and slot is black, so its the one in very above,

It floows in this order

56K Modem PCI
Tv Tuner PCI
and Graphics Card insert PCI

above, it has another insert in the back of tower for the built in monitor input behind the tower but i didnt dig in there since it seems very confusing to me.

m
l
a c 82 V Motherboard
January 22, 2012 2:58:41 AM

Wait ok.
Don't do anything. Just remove the TV Tuner and the 56K Modem.
Connect monitor to the PCI GPU and boot it up. Before you buy any stuff.

Usually if you have a TV tuner in the rig, the monitor connects to the TV Tuner and not the GPU directly, the GPU gets plugged into the TV Tuner via a VGA Cable or the S-Video Cable.
m
l
January 23, 2012 12:32:39 AM

i tried it all still freezing. it must be the HDD then?
m
l
a c 431 V Motherboard
January 23, 2012 1:46:48 AM

Have you tried cleaning your system of resource wasting crap an registry errors recently? If not, run CCleaner. Do the Clean and Registry both.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
m
l
a c 82 V Motherboard
January 23, 2012 3:06:26 AM

Yes, it seems to be the HDD. Do you have a spare on around the place? If so, it would be worth a try to put it in and give it a boot and see if it freezes at the preliminary stages...
m
l
January 25, 2012 10:09:55 PM

Allright....

Bought a new disk, installed fresh win7 64 bit on it.
and i have left it on for 24 hours, it froze 2 times only now i am using it. did not go away.

Question for you guys again,

I have 4*1GB RAMS, 2 were original, 2 are after market added 3 years ago, I am thinking the after markets are 1 bad...How do i find out which one is causing these freezing PC? it has to be the RAMS.

What do i do in this casE?

Thanks,
m
l
a c 431 V Motherboard
January 26, 2012 1:33:20 AM

shutzz said:

Allright....

Bought a new disk, installed fresh win7 64 bit on it.
and i have left it on for 24 hours, it froze 2 times only now i am using it. did not go away.

Question for you guys again,

I have 4*1GB RAMS, 2 were original, 2 are after market added 3 years ago, I am thinking the after markets are 1 bad...How do i find out which one is causing these freezing PC? it has to be the RAMS.

What do i do in this casE?

Thanks,

Run Memtest with only one stick of RAM inserted at a time. Let it finish 1 pass. Remove it and replace it with the next stick... and so on.
http://www.memtest86.com/download.html
m
l
a c 82 V Motherboard
January 26, 2012 2:00:00 AM

Yeah, go for memtest per module , you'll be able to find out if any of the modules are defective.
m
l
a c 431 V Motherboard
January 26, 2012 2:08:22 AM

If the RAM checks out OK, you could try breadboarding it with just the CPU/HSF, PSU, Memory (1 stick or all), and (if no integrated video) a graphics card. Leave the card out if yo you have integrated. No drives. No other devices. Boot to Bios and let it sit there for the length of time it would normally lock up. If the lockup occurs, you have narrowed it down to the board or PSU.
m
l
January 29, 2012 4:54:01 PM

I did the memtest with all 4 installed came out good. no issues.
what else can it be you think? it has froze 3times since the new win7 installation not too bad compared to past.
m
l
a c 82 V Motherboard
January 30, 2012 3:06:46 AM

Could you post a CPUz pic of the RAMs here, like one pic for each of the slots....
m
l
February 3, 2012 6:29:39 PM

i dont know what you secifically need but I have good analysis :) 
when I plug in my blackberry, external hard driver or even my ipod- it freezes again :)  so what do you think just tell me? Ram issue or do i need a new pc?
m
l
!