Another installed vs. physical memory problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thighman

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Hello all,

You will have to forgive me as I am not very skilled in the area of computers. But I just upgraded my 1 GB (2 512 mb) memory laptop to 2 GB (2 1 GB) and do not see a difference in msconfig or task manager. Although I do see it in the system properties section of My Computer. How do I fix this.

Also I have 32 bit vista

Solution
You will not see a difference in the msconfig. You have to change the msconfig to be able to see the difference in the taskmanager in some cases, most likely like yours.
Remove the Max Memory Tick in the msconfig window apply and reboot.
Also need you to check if the BIOS displays 2GB of RAM that you installed in the laptop as 2GB of RAM.
You will not see a difference in the msconfig. You have to change the msconfig to be able to see the difference in the taskmanager in some cases, most likely like yours.
Remove the Max Memory Tick in the msconfig window apply and reboot.
Also need you to check if the BIOS displays 2GB of RAM that you installed in the laptop as 2GB of RAM.

Solution
windows_vista_8gb___8gb_found.png

Thighman

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
nikorr

I see 2 GB on that page.

I will report back if unchecking the max memory button works. If not i'll let you know what my bios page says.

Thanks guys hope something works, just want to keep this laptop running a little bit longer.

So your Properties are showing the correct amount of RAM, you don't need the BIOS to tell you the same.
The problem should most probably be that Maximum Memory setting, you can either remove the tick or specify the exact amount of RAM you have on the rig.
One of the options ought to work to be able to get the Taskmanager to show you the right amount of physical memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS