Flickering screen HD 4870 CrossfireX! Please help!

sacru

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
Hello!

I'm running two Asus HD4870 512mb in CrossFireX on my computer. Works well with good performance. But I have a rather unpleasant phenomenon when I run games. The symptom does not occur otherwise when I'm sitting in windows for example.

What happens is that subtle, horizontal stripes occur across the screen, moves down and flickers past. Or I could describe it this way: There is a flicker of subtle stripes going vertically across the screen.

It is not very significant and sometimes difficult to detect. But once you notice it so it's very annoying, and sometimes these stripes intensify and become impossible to not notice.

I've tried to swap the GPUS:s, since an additional HD4870 1GB lying around. I've switched between different graphics cards in Crossfire and I have reinstalled drivers, etc. etc.. without any results.

The screen I have is an Samsung flat 22" LCD screen with VGA connection. Therefore, I use a DVI adapter. I've also tried using another LCD screen where I also had to DVI adapter, but the problem persisted.

What can it be and how can I fix it? Anyone has similar problems?

Grateful for answers
Robin

sacru

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010

Yes I've tested them simultaneously and with the same issue... :/

sacru

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010

I've tried each card individually now and the same problem persists. It seems unlikely that all three GPU:s suffers from exactly the same defect.

A driverproblem seems more likely. Or maybe the motherboard has some kind of problem? Could it be solved by reseting the CMOS? I bought the motherboard second hand from a friend, but he had barely used it. Only for a month. Or is it a waste of time to reset CMOS? Maybe I should try to format the hdd and reinstall the OS, since I didnt format it properly before installing the current OS. And after all I took the hdd directly from my old computer.

I've got the latest BIOS. Should I try to reinstall it?

So:

- reset CMOS?
- Format?
- New BIOS?

Thats what I can think of right now.

Sincerely
Robin

TRENDING THREADS