Sign in with
Your question
Closed

AMD PH II X4 price drop- good time to buy?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2011 1:56:37 AM

I've got an unlocked Phenom II X2 555 @ 3.6 as a quad. Looking at the X4 955 for $120. Mobos seem to be the same price as last year, but I feel that Bulldozer isn't worth waiting for at these prices.
Anyone else see this as a good time to build a quality budget gamer?
a c 162 à CPUs
a b À AMD
May 21, 2011 2:45:55 AM

If you already have a 555 @ 3.6 as a quad there wont be any major advantage for you to get a 955, unless you are planning it for a whole separate system in which case its a good deal for now.
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2011 10:35:27 AM

not all cpu prices fall, its strange to see how that cpu prices fall so quickly now.
I think the BD should be waited for.

You want to buy a new build yes?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2011 12:20:45 PM

I'd just wait for bulldozer. I love my P2 x4 965 to death, but the performance boost you'd get from going to a 555 to a 955 wouldn't be worth the money you'd put into it.
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2011 5:38:42 PM

jockey said:
I've got an unlocked Phenom II X2 555 @ 3.6 as a quad. Looking at the X4 955 for $120. Mobos seem to be the same price as last year, but I feel that Bulldozer isn't worth waiting for at these prices.
Anyone else see this as a good time to build a quality budget gamer?

So you want to get a slower cpu because the price dropped? Huh?

A better budget gamer would be a i3-2100 because it has upgradeablity. The i3 is why the X4 prices are plunging because they absolutely destroy the X4 in gaming.
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2011 6:05:22 PM

geekapproved said:
So you want to get a slower cpu because the price dropped? Huh?

A better budget gamer would be a i3-2100 because it has upgradeablity. The i3 is why the X4 prices are plunging because they absolutely destroy the X4 in gaming.

By using such a strong word like destroy you are implying that the i3 provides the gamer with the likes of double fps or something when in reality its far from it.
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2011 6:43:14 PM

Uther39 said:
By using such a strong word like destroy you are implying that the i3 provides the gamer with the likes of double fps or something when in reality its far from it.

By replying with such a pointless post your implying you have nothing to do on a Saturday but troll.
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2011 6:45:31 PM

Your implications sir are correct, whats your excuse ?
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2011 9:02:54 PM

The fact that an unlocked Phenom II disables core temp readings is my main concern. I like to monitor temps on both my CPU and GPU when running intense usage programs. Plus, an extra CPU would be used for a future average use system, such as a home office rig.
As far as Intel, I would only go that route in a high end system, where AMD can't compete. But, for now, I have no use for anything above mid-range.
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2011 9:07:03 PM

ghnader hsmithot said:
not all cpu prices fall, its strange to see how that cpu prices fall so quickly now.
I think the BD should be waited for.

You want to buy a new build yes?

I will be doing another build this year. As far as BD, I'm hoping to see mobos with onboard USB 3.0. The AM3+ boards that have come out recently do not impress me at all. Each has its own setbacks from current AM3 boards, which is all they really are.
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2011 10:03:26 PM

geekapproved said:
By replying with such a pointless post your implying you have nothing to do on a Saturday but troll.

Isn't that what you do? A simple investigation of your recent posts proves it. You provide nothing but animosity. A one hit wonder if you will... You're sir are what we call a dilettante.
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2011 10:07:48 PM

RussK1 said:
Isn't that what you do?

How do you figure recommending a better cpu on an upgradeable platform is trolling?

On the contrary, you post adds nothing but more trolling.

Kids, what can ya do?
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2011 10:08:59 PM

Until Intel go and change the socket again !
a b à CPUs
May 21, 2011 10:09:56 PM

geekapproved said:
How do you figure recommending a better cpu on an upgradeable platform is trolling?

On the contrary, you post adds nothing but more trolling.

Kids, what can ya do?

Keep rockin' that i3...

Best solution

a b à CPUs
May 21, 2011 11:31:31 PM

geekapproved said:

Trolls trolling Trolls .........Feel like i'm under a bridge
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2011 12:12:04 PM

Best answer selected by jockey.
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 29, 2012 2:48:04 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!